Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
For sale near me "Colt 1851 Navy". Looks fishy to me but I've never held one. Refinished? Outright fake? Appreciate your comments....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
It looks like it has been aggressively refinished. This would drop its value considerably.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Barrel still looks really nice. Frame, cyl, straps and stocks, not so much. 300-400 max.
Can be turned into a decent shooter but check lockup on all chambers, lockslots are shallow because of buffing.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
The loading rammer number doesn't match. Not sure about some of the other numbers. All cyl scene removed. Current value est at $560.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Refinished yes. Aggressively I‘m not so sure. Most of the edges seem straight and the areas around the screws don’t look dished to me. The locking slots do look shallow but with a little work I think they could be made right. Of course safety is key so wall thickness at those slots is something to consider, but I definitely see potential as a shooter. Which, and I won’t guess how much, would make it worth more than a $300-$400 prospect around these parts.

Tom

·
Registered
431 Posts
The loading rammer number doesn't match.

That is incorrect, sir. On small parts Colt would only use the last 3-4 numbers of the entire serial number, probably as assembly numbers to keep fitted parts together.

Revolver S/N is 107915.

Rammer partial S/N is 7915.

The barrel address is the Late New York Address, with a S/N range ~101000/~215000, which is correct for this gun.

Apologies to the OP for my downloading/rotating/cropping your photos.

Regards,

Jim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts