Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am looking at a 4 digit serial number Colt 1860 Army 4 screw with the fluted cylinder. I am quite new to Colt percussion revolvers. Would it be safe to say that this was a Union sidearm? I looked up the serial number, and it looks like a manufacture date of 1861. If I buy this gun should I bother trying to letter it? Are fluted cylinder Armys more collectible?
Without taking it apart, I can see at least 3 places that have numbers matching.
I wil try and post pics tomorrow.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Will try and post pictures later today.
Need to resize pics.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
The government bought Model 1860s with the fluted cylinder but I believe they also went to the civilian market. Military guns would have the typical military inspector markings. I would definitely letter a Model 1860 if it is in good or better condition. Those with the fluted cylinder typically are worth 30%-50% more than those with the rebated cylinder.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It has the notch cut for the shoulder stock. I believe it to be all original. Will get pictures up soon so you guys can evaluate.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Firearm Gun Trigger Revolver Gun accessory Hand Finger Auto part Trigger Pipe Hand Finger Gun Revolver Shotgun Trigger Gun Firearm Trigger Revolver Gun accessory

Please click on pics for full size.. Having trouble loading some pics. I do not have the gun yet trying to determine if this would be a
Military 1860 Army.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)

This is all I have for now. Would really appreciate some opinions. Overall brown patina. Not much finish left. Some pitting, but not too bad in my opinion for the age of this revolver. Small "L" behind trigger guard. Notch for shoulder stock is present. Hard to make out any cartouche on grips for now..
Do you guys think this could be a Military Colt Army? I imagine the chances are probably pretty good that this Colt saw action in the Civil War by it's low serial number. Also would you guys letter this on the slim chance it was sent down South? Will not be able to insperct again until after the holidays.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
I do not have the gun yet trying to determine if this would be a
Military 1860 Army.
Is the trigger guard warped so that it doesn't fit up against the frame as it should or are the screws loose?

If there is a small letter stamped to the rear of the trigger guard, just before it curves around the front of the grips, that is a a military inspector's mark. You should also find a small initial on the top of the backstrap, just behind the hammer.

I have posted this before because it is an excellent article on military markings on the Model 1860. Hope it is helpful to you: https://springfieldarsenal.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/rampant-colt-spring-2010-page-28-35.pdf

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
Early one. I would love to have one.

If I could ask a question, or two. Have I heard correctly that the fluted cylinder Model 1860's were amongst the first manufactured in that model? When did they transition to the round cylinder?

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
The fluted cylinder was offered from the very beginning up until around s/n 8000, which would be early in 1861. It is believed that about 4,000 guns with the fluted cylinder were made so both types of cylinders were offered concurrently.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Is the trigger guard warped so that it doesn't fit up against the frame as it should or are the screws loose?

If there is a small letter stamped to the rear of the trigger guard, just before it curves around the front of the grips, that is a a military inspector's mark. You should also find a small initial on the top of the backstrap, just behind the hammer.

I have posted this before because it is an excellent article on military markings on the Model 1860. Hope it is helpful to you: https://springfieldarsenal.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/rampant-colt-spring-2010-page-28-35.pdf
No it's not warped. Missing a screw. I don't want to put a replacment unless I could find an original. Going to try a few gun shows. Any suggestions?
Do you think this revolver is worth lettering?
Thanks, for the link Blackjack.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The fluted cylinder was offered from the very beginning up until around s/n 8000, which would be early in 1861. It is believed that about 4,000 guns with the fluted cylinder were made so both types of cylinders were offered concurrently.
So I am guessing the fluted cylinders command a higher price?

·
Premium Member
4,488 Posts
For sure.

I would check with colt archives and see if you can letter your 60 army. Southern shipped ones before the war bring a real premium.

Reactions: SnakeGunner

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
The government bought Model 1860s with the fluted cylinder but I believe they also went to the civilian market. Military guns would have the typical military inspector markings. I would definitely letter a Model 1860 if it is in good or better condition. Those with the fluted cylinder typically are worth 30%-50% more than those with the rebated cylinder.
See post #3. 30%-50% premium.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
For sure.

I would check with colt archives and see if you can letter your 60 army. Southern shipped ones before the war bring a real premium.
Guess I'll get this one lettered. Are there any problems with Colt now getting letters?

·
Registered
413 Posts
No problems that I am aware of...cost is $300 and the good news yours falls in the retrievable letter range (1 to 140,000 ???) .....I know it will probably take several months to get it though.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts