Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I am new to the forum so please pardon my question if it's not one that can been answered. I am looking at purchasing a Colt Army Model 1860 with serial number 50895. I note from Colt's site that it has a manufacture date of 1862 and I know that I can order a history letter that will show some more detailed information but only general in the sense of what quartermaster it was shipped to. I was hoping someone may have the Springfield Research Service books that could give me a better idea of what unit the weapon may have been issued to. I understand after the first issue it gets muddy from there but I was hoping to get some history before deciding whether to make the investment or not. Sorry, no photos at the moment as I do not own the pistol. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
9,788 Posts
The only way anyone will ever know that would be if the weapon were referred to by serial number in a unit-identified soldier's diary - failing that, it's anyone's guess.

Just so you understand - military small arms weren't issued in serial number order, nor were they shipped in serial number order, so when you factor in the factory's shipping practices and the way weapons were handled by the Quartermaster, you're not gaining much by way of data.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for theinformation. So, basically based on the serial number dialing in an 1862 manufactureryear it would be a fair bet this was sent and issued at some point during theCivil War but its anyone’s guess as to where or what unit? The value would be in condition and the factthat it is a Civil War era piece? The askingprice is at $1200 which based on my research seems fair but I am a novice collector. All serial numbers match as far as I cantell.

·
Registered
9,788 Posts
Ask yourself why are you buying it - to actually collect, because of an interest in the Civil War and it's weaponry - or to 'invest' and flip?

It's a little like the real estate mantra, but instead of 'location, location, location' - in gun collecting, it's 'condition, condition, condition' - and condition is the real determining factor with something as common as this...

Read up on the subject - look at good examples and take your time, before you unlimber your wallet.

They made a lot of these - they're widely available, and prices do vary.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I am an avid shooter and antiquecollector thus I am always on the lookout for antiques. This would be the first antique firearm in mycollection though. As an antiquecollector and avid shooter it caught my eye as a unique piece. I understand value is in condition regardingmost antiques but also value is only what someone is willing to pay for it,especially in items that are not hard to find. I am not a flipper and like to display the pieces that I buy. If I pull the trigger, no pun intended itwould be as a display piece (my wife’s side dates back to the revolutionarywar). My side was swilling beer inGermany during the Civil war so I have no real vested interest other than thatI live in Virginia and it would be a conversation piece to show friends and my fatherin law. I appreciate the advice and willmove ahead one way or the other after more research.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts