Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some time ago I saw a reference on the forum to someone who makes custom wood boxes for Colt revolvers. I have had this 1860 (issue 1862) Army for many years. It has an interesting history including 7th Cav issue. I have the holster and two orig. bullet molds for it. I would like to find a box for it that would hold the accessories and the revolver, as old and original Colt looking as possible, made of nice wood, oak or walnut etc. . A second gen wood box with felt would work but they are kind of cheaply made and I haven't run across any for the 1860 model. I want to find a box with compartments, felt lined. Someone mentioned a fellow that makes boxes like this recently. Any suggestions? Thanks guys.

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tip Hopalong. Super quality but they are too fancy (and pricey) for me. I think Bill Shumate's cases was who I was thinking of. I am going to contact him. Photos: I have been inspired by other forum members and been having a lot of fun dragging out the old collections. The trick for me is to shoot with a camera with manual override so you can set the shutter speed and F stop. (do not shoot automatic) What I do is shoot outside in daylight on the porch in soft ambient light. The porch roof cuts any sky refections out of the metal surfaces. Then I use a 4x4 white card in the sunlight to bounce a directional softlight onto the set up. Most importantly, I shoot everything between F 11- F 14 and compensate the shutter down to usually 1/10th or 1/15 of a sec. to get the correct exposure. I shoot a couple of tests to see what combination shutter speed-F stop works best. On a tripod so no camera shake at the slow shutter speed. This increases the depth of field and the resulting sharpness of the guns. I am using a Nikon D90 with an 18-105mm lens. I use another small white card on the other side (dark side) to fill the shadows a little.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Heritage Case Co. makes nice cases also and is flexible in providing the layout, compartments, etc. that you want. You are not confined to what they show on their website.

Category

1 - 7 of 7 Posts