Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some time ago I saw a reference on the forum to someone who makes custom wood boxes for Colt revolvers. I have had this 1860 (issue 1862) Army for many years. It has an interesting history including 7th Cav issue. I have the holster and two orig. bullet molds for it. I would like to find a box for it that would hold the accessories and the revolver, as old and original Colt looking as possible, made of nice wood, oak or walnut etc. . A second gen wood box with felt would work but they are kind of cheaply made and I haven't run across any for the 1860 model. I want to find a box with compartments, felt lined. Someone mentioned a fellow that makes boxes like this recently. Any suggestions? Thanks guys.

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tip Hopalong. Super quality but they are too fancy (and pricey) for me. I think Bill Shumate's cases was who I was thinking of. I am going to contact him. Photos: I have been inspired by other forum members and been having a lot of fun dragging out the old collections. The trick for me is to shoot with a camera with manual override so you can set the shutter speed and F stop. (do not shoot automatic) What I do is shoot outside in daylight on the porch in soft ambient light. The porch roof cuts any sky refections out of the metal surfaces. Then I use a 4x4 white card in the sunlight to bounce a directional softlight onto the set up. Most importantly, I shoot everything between F 11- F 14 and compensate the shutter down to usually 1/10th or 1/15 of a sec. to get the correct exposure. I shoot a couple of tests to see what combination shutter speed-F stop works best. On a tripod so no camera shake at the slow shutter speed. This increases the depth of field and the resulting sharpness of the guns. I am using a Nikon D90 with an 18-105mm lens. I use another small white card on the other side (dark side) to fill the shadows a little.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.