Colt Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was one of my Dad's acquisitions with matching numbers. Fluted cylinder Armys are somewhat scarce but if anyone knows how many were made I'd like to know. It isn't as good as it looks, in that someone gave it a old blue job before my Dad got it in the '60s. I keep toying with the idea of stripping it and giving it a more believable old gun patina - among the scores of may-do-someday items.

·
Registered
173 Posts
My opinion. Leave it be. I really like it. What ever you do it is still a refinish. Be happy with the fluted cilinders. You do not see them often around..

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Nice piece. I like the fluted 1860's - I have a signature Series. I'm away from my library at the moment (actually in Colorado) but a figure of 4,000 comes to mind but I could be way off.

Rio

·
Registered
7,382 Posts
Nice piece. I like the fluted 1860's - I have a signature Series. I'm away from my library at the moment (actually in Colorado) but a figure of 4,000 comes to mind but I could be way off.

Rio
Hmm, if you're in Colorado, you're in Mt. time zone. I wonder if the polls are still open for you to go vote to recall those two state senators that helped push through the restrictive Colorado gun laws?
Go get 'em! :D

·
Premium Member
4,687 Posts
I think Rio is correct in that there were about 4000 of these made. Also these were made 1st or early in the 1860 run and I seem to recall a lot of these being sent to Texas? or somewhere in the south. I've got a 2nd gen fluted, but still kick myself for not going after one that was on a local auction a few years back. It wasn't as nice as Robert's, but it went fairly cheap and like a bump on a log, I sat there and didn't even bid. Oh well.....

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Story of my life -- regret over things I didn't buy. I could make up a beautiful collection if I had - when I think of it, for the most trivial reason I passed such as another ten or 100 dollars, maybe because I was considering another one that I didn't buy either.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Hmm, if you're in Colorado, you're in Mt. time zone. I wonder if the polls are still open for you to go vote to recall those two state senators that helped push through the restrictive Colorado gun laws?
Go get 'em! :D
I'd love to oblige, Malysh, but being from the UK I doubt that my vote would count. ;)

Rio

·
Registered
382 Posts
On January 17, 1861, William T. Martin (later Brig. Gen.) of Natchez, Miss. purchased 160 Colt 1860 fluted Armys along with 160 powder flasks, 80 holsters and 80 shoulder stocks, for the Adams Troop, a company of cavalry he raised in his home town. The serial numbers of these Colts are known and I've personally seen 6 or 7 of them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
On January 17, 1861, William T. Martin (later Brig. Gen.) of Natchez, Miss. purchased 160 Colt 1860 fluted Armys along with 160 powder flasks, 80 holsters and 80 shoulder stocks, for the Adams Troop, a company of cavalry he raised in his home town. The serial numbers of these Colts are known and I've personally seen 6 or 7 of them.
I have a fluted cylinder army, I wondered if it may be in the lists of known numbers, if so can someone in this esteemed forum shed any light? S No 3571.

Regards Ormicron

·
Registered
386 Posts
Oakridge;
I handled one of the Martin Armies several years ago, and googled several of the others;the ones I "found" all had 8 inch barrels. I've always wondered what happened to the shoulder stocks...

Regards,

Tecolote

·
Registered
382 Posts
Ormicron,
It is my undertanding that the fluted Armies that were shipped South between Dec. 1860 and Apr. 1861 were all serial numbers below 3,000. The Martin shipped guns were in the 1500-1600 ser. no. range. Your gun seems to fit the range for fluted Armies, but you would need a factory letter to see where it was shipped.

Tecolote,
I've never seen a shoulder stock with any of the Martin Armies - guess they were lost or discarded. A few are known with original holsters.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you for the information, I have had the gun here in the UK for over 20 years I wonder if they exported any early guns? Will have to contact Colt.

Ormicron

·
Registered
10,581 Posts
I tried to get my hands on a repro of one of these through Cimarron last year to make a snubnose out of. They were out of stock so long I gave up on it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts