Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I picked up the Colt 1860 I asked about several weeks ago. It came with the holster. The shop had to pull one bullet and was able to blow out the rest. It was stored poorly you can see in the pics. I guess my question is what do I do with it now? I collect 1911 and 1911A1 military, so not sure how to clean this old Colt up. Do I even attempt to clean? Thanks for your help. Here is a link to a bunch of pics, scroll through and let me know your thoughts.. Colt 1860

Scotty

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,823 Posts
I'm no expert on antique pistols, but I do know that you must be VERY careful about "cleaning up" guns like this.

What many people think is cleaning is really destroying hundreds of dollars worth of patina.

Applying a coat of lube or wax to prevent rust or further deterioration is one thing, polishing or scrubbing is quite another.

I'd try to contact a museum for help in how to maintain it in it's current condition.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Scotty,

This smith has a good reputation:

Doug Turnbull Restoration, Inc.

6680 Routes 5 & 20
P.O. Box 471
Bloomfield, NY 14469-0471

Phone: (585) 657-6338
FAX: (585) 657-6338
Email: [email protected]
Web Site: www.turnbullrestoration.com

SIC#: 6799

Description: Firearm restoration 1880 to 1940. Historic metal finishes, metal preparation, wood refinishing, checkering, restocking.

I've read about him but have never had dealings with him. You could do a Google search for firearms restoration and get more info,

John

·
Registered
87 Posts
Don't touch it.It's fine just the way it is.Anything that you or anybody might do,will only diminish the value.Just keep a film of oil on it.

·
Registered
154 Posts
For comparison you might click on www.collectorsfirearms.com . They have 15-20 1860's listed at this time (with pictures). Your gun appears to be in as good or better condition as many of them. Only you can decide if you want original or pretty. Doug Turnbull does beautiful work but as you might quess, he is very expensive. For the price of a restoration, you could probably buy two Uberti replica 1860's and still have your original Colt.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts