Colt Forum banner

Colt 1861 Navy reissue

7K views 33 replies 21 participants last post by  LonesomePigeon 
#1 ·

Who in this group also shares the love of the 1861?

See less See more
#8 ·
I use a pair of 2nd Gen 1861s as SASS Main match guns, and have one NIB for the collection. I also have a pair Ubertis that get regular use and a Pietta Sheriffs model engraved in the white.

Love the181 Navy

Reactions: ei8ht
#17 ·
Here is my Colt Model 1861 serial number 37544. According to the author of the latest Colt Model 1851 and 1861 book, Bob Jordan who was allowed access to Colt factory records, this one was made in the early 1870s. This exact number not recorded but others in the range were being produced about then. Well into the time that the Single Action was being worked up.

#20 ·
This is the other side of Colt Model 1861, serial number 37544.

The book that I am referring to is Colt 1851 and 1861 Navies and Conversions by Robert M. Jordan and Don W. Geri, published last year. The price is $250 plus shipping. To buy it, the author can be reached at bjordancolt@gmail.com. Yes, it sounds expensive but you will learn things that will make the cost more than worthwhile. The Nathan Swayze book was good for its time, but this one will be the final definitive work on this subject.

#23 ·
The book that I am referring to is Colt 1851 and 1861 Navies and Conversions by Robert M. Jordan and Don W. Geri, published last year. The price is $250 plus shipping. To buy it, the author can be reached at bjordancolt@gmail.com. Yes, it sounds expensive but you will learn things that will make the cost more than worthwhile. The Nathan Swayze book was good for its time, but this one will be the final definitive work on this subject.
As I no longer collect I'm afraid I will pass on this book. Postage to the UK for something like that is usually in excess of $50, so at today's conversion rate that brings it in at around £220. Although I would normally buy a book like this anyway, I'm not sure there will be enough new information over the Swayze volume to warrant that outlay.

Rio

#28 ·
Don't know who did the engraving but it is really deeply carved. 3rd Generations don't usually letter to Colt. Dennis Russell's book doesn't mention the engravers. I may see Dennis at the Baltimore Antique Gun Show next weekend, if I do I'll ask if he knows. I'm ordering a double pistol case from billscases to display them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.