Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new here so I apologize if I am posting in the wrong place.

I've got a 61 Navy, manufactured in 1861 (3 dig serial number) with its original holster.

Can anyone suggest how I can get a value for it?

Help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
507 Posts
If you go to the photos sub-forum (in the same general discussion section as the lounge) the very last sticky at the top is a tutorial on how to post pictures using photobucket. Imgur is another site that provides photo hosting, which you may prefer.

Try to take pictures from several angles in outdoor light if possible. Get as close as your camera will let you.

Cheers

P.S. I see this has been moved to the correct forum now, so I removed the reference to where to post the pictures

·
Registered
12,847 Posts
I usually just post images right from my little Camera 'Card'.

Image icon is the third one from the right, above the text box.

Click image icon, and it gives you the option of selecting images from your computer, or from the web.

Sometimes it works better if I move images from the Camera Card to "My Images" in Documents Folder, then elect from there, for a Posting.

·
Registered
387 Posts
According to my copy of Springfield Research Service Serial Numbers of U.S. Martial Arms, Vol.2 , p. 161, Colt 1861 Navy serial number 373 was issued to Co.D, 2nd Illinois Cavalry. It would be be worth it to get the complete info from them. I have seen No. 390, also issued to the same company of the 2nd. There are several photos of 2nd I'll. troopers with 61 Navies. That is a very nice holster,too.Regards,Tecolote

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tecolote,
Thank you. You recommend getting the information from "them", which sounds like a good idea. But who is "them". My thought had been to get the letter from Colt, but that does not sound like what you were reommending.

Thank you for the comment on the holster. It is nice, and looks like it has been with the 61 it's whole life. But I can not find a thing on the maker mark.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The "them" Hans refers to is the Springfield Research Service. This was once a valuable resource for information on martial guns. Currently the service produces a quarterly newsletter that one must subscribe to in order to get any information on a given serial number. As Hans mentioned, there is some information on your gun in the service's database. He recommended contacting them for further information on your gun. You may be able to reach the service by email at [email protected]. I do not know the current status of the service. The information at the usmartialarmscollector.com web site is pretty old. But it is worth a try.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hmaag & mbl1230,

Thank you for the information about Springfield research.
I sent them an email asking if they had any additional information on the 61.
I also asked if they had any information on the maker marked holster.....that one is drdiving me crazy.

·
Registered
387 Posts
My thanks to Hans and mbl1230 for posting the above.I only have the SRS books which date from 1994. Here is a link to an archived listing for No. 390:
Collectors Firearms Archives - Home
I did get to handle this gun at a local show back in the '90s, and it had the documentation with it. As you can see, it is a well used piece and it appears as though the muzzle is somewhat worn back toward the loading lever latch, possibly due to jostling in the holster during cavalry skirmishes.Speaking of holsters, yours is of the type known as a half-flap, and may be a period replacement for the war time issue holster, especially if the trooper took his revolver home. The 2nd Ill did report having "navy-sized Holsters" which the standard cavalry style holsters,but shorter for the 7.5 inch Navy barrel rather than the 8 inch Army barrel.
The 2nd Illinois Cavalry was pretty well armed throughout the war, compared to some other units. They were issued Colt 1851 and 1861 Navy revolvers, Sharps carbines, and M1840 Dragoon sabres and pretty much stayed with these during the war, although Burnside carbines were issued towards the end (two are known with SRS records). A Google search of the 2nd Illinois Cavalry will turn up both info and photos,some iwth troopers holding their 61s.
I'd definitely suggest getting a Colt Factory letter, in addition to seeing what SRS can do. If you get some more photos, please post them.
Hope this little bit helps.

Regards,
Tecololte

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Tecolote,

Would serial number 884 have been shipped to the 2nd Illinois Cavalry as well? If not, can you provide information about this one and/or suggest if it is worth a factory letter?

·
Registered
387 Posts
I can't say either way. The problem with Civil War serial numbers is they were handled by volunteers and different companies,even in the same unit, did things differently. As far as I know, in the 2nd Illinois, Cos. B,C and D kept records that survived or weren't lost. IIRC these companies were operating in differents areas than the others. I have no idea as to the other companies records, and I would like to know,as I have a particular interest in the 2nd. The highest 3 digit serial number listed in the SRS book for a 61 Navy is 680 in the 13th Ill Cav, Co.F. I'd say it is definitely worth a factory letter.
Regards,
Tecolote

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Much thanks! I guess I was surmising that the first 500, 800, 1,000 or whatever fill-in-the-blank number may have been issued to the 2nd Illinois Cavalry, and may have encompassed my revolver. I have refrained from acquiring a letter on this one because of condition issues with this one. The grips, trigger guard, frame, cylinder, all at least 70%, from what I recall. The barrel--probably say in a holster for 100+ years, and became severely pitted. Then someone took the barrel to a wire wheel. Ouch!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts