Colt Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
It appears to me that the web site for the "new" SRS owner is infested with some pretty nasty virous, I couldn't get in kept being redirected to junk sites.
I am curious if any of y'all have had that experience.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
It appears to me that the web site for the "new" SRS owner is infested with some pretty nasty virous, I couldn't get in kept being redirected to junk sites. I am curious if any of y'all have had that experience.
Yuppa on the "nasty" stuff coming from their site. I contacted SRS and they said they are working with their ISP - but that was weeks ago and the problem has been going on for months. So, not sure if it will ever be fixed. I contacted them via the e-mail in this response to my comment about their site:
Mail $35 to U.S. Martial Arms Collectors, Box 126, Cabin John, MD. 20818. Email: [email protected] or [email protected].

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Sorry for the late reply, I have password proglems.

It is not a family heirloom.

I am going to liquidate my modest civil war collection. This is one of several Colts in it.

·
Registered
387 Posts
more on the 2nd Illinois Cavalry and their Colt Navies

Since I have "re-found" some more details on the 2nd Illinois Cavalry and their Colt Navies, I thought I'd revive this thread for a bit.hopefully, it will be of some interest.
Since both guns referenced, jtdwtx's No. 373 and No. 390,linked above, were both issued to members of Company D,some info about the Company: they were recruited in Alton, Ill. and according to Sam Fletcher of Co. A were rough, river men known as the "Alton Hell Hounds". Posted to Baton Rouge after the fall of Vicksburg, the men of Co. D, tired of their pickets being shot at by Confederate guerillas, caught two and hung them, after which the shooting ceased. The only photo of a Co. D trooper I've come across is this one of Aurelius Burnell ILGenWeb - Civil War Photos - Aurelius Burnell
Perhaps he handled these very guns.
An image oF Cpl. Philip Bowser of Co. F shows him with a pair of 61 Navies, one of which is likely his brother-in-laws,Wiliam Crain, who was in the same company.ILGenWeb - Civil War Photos - Philip M. Bowzer
I seen two other photos of 2nd Llinois troopers with Colts, interestingly both were 61 Navys.

During the second quarter of 1863, the 2nd's companies were split, half in the Memphis area and half in the Vicksburg theatre. The 2nd, as a whole, was pretty well armed with most men having a Sharps carbine, Colt Navy and saber each. In the quarters ordnance returns, Co. D was listed as having 65 Colt's Navy revolvers, old and new models, but only 18 "Pistol-belt holsters, Navy size". Companies A nad K listed Colts but no holsters at all,and except for Co. C, none listed matching numbers of Colts and holsters. Perhaps the above holster was used with no. 373 during the war insead of the regular issue holster. It is possible that not all the revolvers were listed either.Ordnance returns are often lacking and during this quarter Cos. E andG filed no reports at all.
Sam Fletcher recalled "changing pistols" and slightly wounding his mare. Perhaps he wasn't the only one with more than one pistol. The 2nd did use their Colts, and used them hard. Nos. 373 and 390 show wear at the muzzle, likely to jostling in the holster, while charging with cold steel drawn.
The serial numbers in SRS,Vol.2 provide interesting information but also raise some questions. For instance, these Colt Navys,both 51 and 61 were issued entirely at random, not in particular blocks.For instance, 61 Navys 456 and 470 went to the 2nd Illlinois but 61 Navy 467 went to the 13th Illinois. Examples of questions raised: the lowest number listed for the 2nd's 61 Navies is No. 33. Nos. 29 and 30 are known to have fluted cylinders, but No. 35 has the standard round form. What about 33? Also, the article Colt 1861 Belt Models by Fred E. Warner in The Rampant Colt , Fall 2002 shows No. 271, a cut for stock model with steel backstrap and triggerguard. Both Nos. 267 and 273 went to the Second;were they cut for stock variants also? Questions, questions.
At least we have some information.

Regards,
Tecolote

·
Registered
127 Posts
jtdwtx - Blue Book of Guns has a new Blue Book of Antique American Firearms for $40. It would give you the range of value for your gun depending on markings and condition. Might be useful if you are trying to get a ballpark idea of value on more than one gun. At least you could compare the BB value with anybody else's appraisal.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Another bump,if I may with a liink or two of some 2nd Illinois troopers with their Colt Navies. If Photobucket were behaving, I'd just show the pictures :(...
First, a link to a past Cowans auction item including CDVs of David and Philip Speidel, both in Co. E of the 2nd. Note each is holding a 61 Navy. Considering that the 2nd did have a lot of the less common 1861 Navy, I'd lean toward these being issued guns rather than photographers' props.
https://www.cowanauctions.com/lot/sixth-plate-ambrotypes-of-david-and-philip-speidel-2nd-illinois-cavalry-57423
Next, James Butterfield of Co. A was photographed with a pair of Colt Navies in his belt, one of which might be a '61, but you can't tell for sure. The link no longer works on my frazzled, old desktop nor on my Iphone, but can be found with a Google search for "2nd Illinois Cavalry Butterfield".
Both Cos. A and E were in the Vicksburg Campaign. On May 11, 1863 they and two other companies were combined into a provisional cavalry battalion and scouted ahead of McPherson's troops on the march to Raymond, MS where they got to skirmish with the Confederates, opening the Battle of Raymond.
Back in 1997, I got to participate in a living history at the battlefield. There were several stations showing different aspects of the battle, artillery, cavalry,infantry medical, rations and ours live fire of small arms: .69 cal. musket,.577 Enfield, Smith and Maynard carbines, and Colt 1861 Navies(my 2nd Gen. and 3rd Gens) and sent a lot of lead downrange.I don't know whether Butterfield and the Speidels used their Colts that day, but all three survived and were discharged in August of '64.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
...any information on a Colt Army M1860 .44cal with SN 44776? ...
Until someone jumps in - the closest SRS has for the 1860 Army...

44636 Co. I - 1st MD Volunteer Cavalry
44821 Co. K - 12th OH Volunteer Cavalry​

·
Registered
42 Posts
Until someone jumps in - the closest SRS has for the 1860 Army...
44636 Co. I - 1st MD Volunteer Cavalry
44821 Co. K - 12th OH Volunteer Cavalry​
Many thanks for that, SWOwner. I think I will have to contact Colt to request a letter. It's a lovely revolver.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Many thanks for that, SWOwner. I think I will have to contact Colt to request a letter. It's a lovely revolver.
Let me know what you get from colt so I can update my 1860 Army listing. Thanks!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Let me know what you get from colt so I can update my 1860 Army listing. Thanks!

Hi SWOwner,

Today I got my letter from Colt regarding my Model 1860 Army Revolver S/N 44776. It was sold to the United States War Department and shipped to Lt.Col. G. D. Ramsay, Washington Arsenal on June 24 1862 in a consignment of 1,000 guns. Not sure what to make of this. Bad news no regimental info? Good news it was a US Army revolver.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Hi SWOwner, Today I got my letter from Colt regarding my Model 1860 Army Revolver S/N 44776. It was sold to the United States War Department and shipped to Lt.Col. G. D. Ramsay, Washington Arsenal on June 24 1862 in a consignment of 1,000 guns. Not sure what to make of this. Bad news no regimental info? Good news it was a US Army revolver.
Thanks for the information - I will post it to my Shipment Thread shortly. Hope you eventually find out the unit - still searching for mine...

·
Registered
387 Posts
Another bump. At this link Civil War Weapons - Army of Tennessee Relics | Confederate Belt Buckles, Artillery, Buttons, all Authentic Civil War Relics is No. 307. Scroll down to WP 23. It shows traces of silver on the backstrap and trigger guard and has varnished grips, which would suggest a civilain gun. It sure wasn't used as hard as 373 and 390. The SRS records shows among others Nos. 273, 279,341,and 343 going to Co. D of the 2nd. Hmmm....again more questions arise. Neat holster with the gun,isn't it. Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with this site. I found it while looking for Henry rifle info.

Edit: Just found while Googling: 61 navy No. 457 in a Julia anction;SRS lists No. 456 as issued to Co.D 2nd Ill cavalry. This one, 457, doesn't show much if any silver on the grip straps in the 3 pictures I found of it on the Julia site. I suspect there was a lot of pure randomness as to both assembly and shipping of the guns in those early days of the war. IIRC, MacCauley's book on Civil War revolvers mention Illinois as having bought Colt Navys in 1861 and Baumann in Arming the Suckers cites "421 Colt's Navy revolvers" issued to the 2nd on November 11,1861. I guess you could perhpas call Nos. 373 and 390 "State Martials" :)

Regards,
Tecolote

21 - 35 of 35 Posts