Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know too much about these, but I know of one for sale with no finish and considerable pitting from the old black powder, and it has a 3 digit serial number. It appears to be 100% original. The front sight has been filed a bit. All serial numbers match everywhere. What should I pay for one of these in this condition in today's market? This one is the regular production model. Thank you.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,611 Posts
Value depends on the actual condition and on which model of 1861.

Assuming the gun is in 10% original finish, the Blue Book show the following:
The models are:
Fluted cylinder model, serials from 1 to 100....$7,500.
Regular production model....$2,000.
Martially marked model, will have U.S. stamps and inspectors marks....$2,500.
London marked model, stamped Address Sam Colt London....$2,000
Shoulder stock cut frame model....$3,500.

Note that these numbers are Blue Book values and may be higher or lower depending on the actual condition, and where it's being sold.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I don't pay attention to book valuations. Because of publishing lead times, whatever values they list are out of date by the time they hit the stores. And that's saying nothing about how valid the info is when it was collected. Most of them seem very "optimistic" in their valuations. And, as noted, valuations can vary by region, fads coming and going (e.g., the sudden rise in popularity in S&W .44 Mags after "Dirty Harry" came out, or the skyrocketing of "black gun" prices after Obama came in, due to fears of a ban). And then there's just plain personal interest (or lack thereof) in individual buyers. Some folks would give their left ... uh, "generative organ".. for a particular model with a particular arcane marking, and someone else wouldn't give a nickle for the gun Hitler offed himself with.
BTW, does "MRCVS" mean you're a British veterinarian?

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the information you provided.

Yes, indeed, my screen name is the abbreviation for one who is licensed as a veterinarian in the United Kingdom. I'm impressed you caught on! (MRCVS stands for Member of the Royal College of Veterinary Medicine). Yes, I am licensed to practice veterinary medicine in the UK.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Thank you for the information you provided.

Yes, indeed, my screen name is the abbreviation for one who is licensed as a veterinarian in the United Kingdom. I'm impressed you caught on! (MRCVS stands for Member of the Royal College of Veterinary Medicine). Yes, I am licensed to practice veterinary medicine in the UK.
Thanks to the British TV show, "All Creatures Great and Small", and, of course, the books it was based on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts