Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I have the opportunity to purchase what looks to me like a very nice piece. Condition is listed as "mint"
I would really appreciate any and all feedback. (screw over pan on left side in front of cylinder is damaged, others look fine. Bluing seems original with slight wear on the edges of the octagonal barrel. Hard to see bluing on top of the barrel with the address, perhaps an effect of the lighting? Which parts are silver plated?

Listing described as follows:
"All over original blue, case hardening and silver plating. All matched serial numbers Xxxx Colts Patent on frame. Clear address on the barrel. Clear cylinder scene. 36 CAL on trigger guard. Grip in original varnish.".

Perhaps a small point, but the title specifies .38 Rimfire, but the description reads 36 CAL.

Just wondering how many truely mint condition guns are out there which are 160 years old. I'm not questioning the integrity of the seller at all, (a reputable business by all appearances). I'm just being very cautious. Therefore my coming to you experts. The serial number is visible in another photo, halfway between 1 and 10,000.

Any idea of a fair price? Thanks!!!
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG

·
Registered
481 Posts
The wood is definitely refinished, but the rest looks good to me.

I am just an innocent bystander. ;)

Regards,

Jim

·
Registered
185 Posts
take a good look of course, but here is my 49 pocket, all original...and the wood varnish is like new....slightly worn on an edge, but all original. Colt varnish is very tough,, My 61 Navy colt is the same. here are both for comparison The pictures
seem to show a lot more wear than is there.
the varnish is very shiny on both.. Ken
1861  Colt.jpg
49 Colt pocket .31.jpg

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
take a good look of course, but here is my 49 pocket, all original...and the wood varnish is like new....slightly worn on an edge, but all original. Colt varnish is very tough,, My 61 Navy colt is the same. here are both for comparison The pictures
seem to show a lot more wear than is there.
the varnish is very shiny on both.. Ken View attachment 728346 View attachment 728347
Both very nice guns! Thanks for your post. Yes, more wear, but wear is evenly distributed; edges are sharp- basically sound firearms, both.

I’m just wondering if this gun is TOO good.
Beautiful piece, but.....
I’m going to see it this Friday. Description states “mint” - OK, but are there any red flags I’m missing? Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
[/QUOTE}

Perhaps a small point, but the title specifies .38 Rimfire, but the description reads 36 CAL.

[/QUOTE]
Not unusual in a conversion. The amazing condition would make anybody suspicious, but I would question why anyone would go to the expense of a restoration on a conversion.

Jim

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
There are mint specimens out there of these conversions. The photos aren’t clear enough for me to tell if the grips (or anything else) is refinished. The caliber description is not a problem; the old percussion “.36 Cal” marking is on the trigger guard, and likely why it is described as such. Look forward to hearing an amplified report.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts