Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am new to the forum and have a question I am just started collecting Colts.
Does the 1878 Frontier DA have a different lock up system I was told it lock up when trigger is pulled. when its cocked there is play in the cylinder but when the trigger is pulled there is no movement. Help

·
Registered
946 Posts
Hi, dont have one now, but used to many years ago. As I recall, I believe that is the way they were suppose to be. Would like to hear more about your colt.

·
Registered
810 Posts
The 1878 DA has the early lockup and is considered very "weak" and will break/go out of time quite easily, it was in 1892 that they went to the "double" notches in the cylinder and a double bolt, I think for the 'military' mainly. Then even later revert and improve the systems.
The confusion is mainlly a use /terms of what is "lock up" or as I refer to it as " in battery", the cylinder is tighter when the trigger is all the way back , the hand /pawl is up, the hammer "forward" and the gun is/was "locked in place" at the time of firing.
Once release, trigger forward, ,pawl lowered, the cylinder is more in an "idle" ( neutral ) phase and there will be "play" . This is true of most revolvers.Colt is known to "drop the hammer" at the time of the rearward motion , all the way back. At about the same time. Some guns like Rugers and S&W's will actually "stage", and let the hammer fall fall before it's all the way back. IN those cases the bolt ( cylinder stop), has already "locked" the cylinder in place, then the hammer drops. You can "fool" a lot of revolvers and cock the hammer all the way back and the cylinder may still have NOT come all the way up and "lock" into place.
I used to see "dealers"? at the gun shows tell a person their gun is "bad and out of time", to try get it for a cheaper price (basically screw them) and there is NOTHING wrong with the gun.

So as you said, I'd have to say your gun is ok by your description.

If there is any problems,I have a friend named Sal Lanara who has parts and works on those early model "DA" Colts. He sets up at the OGCA not far from me with his brother Dave.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bogus
It was made in 1902 and is in great condition but someone reblued it at some time the blueing is a good job but I wished they had let it alond I do plan to shoot it. The metal is in good condition with original grips. I like these colts and plan to collect more of them as I get sell some of the guns I have.
Thanks
Jarhead

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Hi Jarhead,

If you like the Model 1878 Colts, Try Ed Cox and his website at ColtParts.com . Ed has some M-1878s that he just got in. I saw him at the Reno Gunshow this past weekend. Ed has parts too and can repair them ... a second source for you. Bob Best

·
Registered
810 Posts
Jarhead, sorry Sal doesn't have a 'web site' far as I know so I sent you an e-mail with his phone number. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

1 - 9 of 9 Posts