Colt Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm kinda new to the revolver scene but I've picked up two Colts and am being given a third. My cousin is sending me a Colt 1889 he found at a flee market than is not operational. Hammer won't cock, trigger will not return and it's missing a screw on the exterior someplace.. Now I understand it will likely be a large project that may never result in me putting a round down range but I really want to try to get it to work. My main question is are the New Navy parts at all interchangeable with the older 1889? The main difference between the two is the addition of the bolt correct? I apologize if it is a dumb question but as I haven't been able to find a diagram of the 1889 I'm at a complete loss :/. He's returning from his trip Wednesday and will be sending me some photos before sending the gun I'll post what he sends.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I'm still in the middle of a years long project of rehab'ing a late vintage .32-20 Colt New Navy. I don't know all that much about the original incarnation of the revolver but have the impression that several internat parts were changed slightly during production life. Obviously the bolt is the big difference between your gun and mine.

I'm still searching for the right unbroken, yet worn New Navy hard rubber stocks for mine along with a ejector rod head. Apparently the late vintage revolvers had a knurled head with the hole through it.

Mine had been deliberately rendered inoperable by someone grinding off the firing pin. Could have even been used as a toy at some point in its career. I'd like to be able to fire a few rounds down range with it some day.

Here's a link to an old post about the sad .32-20 New Navy.

http://www.coltforum.com/forums/colt-revolvers/23730-50-32-wcf-new-navy-deal-no-deal.html

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,878 Posts
Colt put the New Army & Navy through a rapid series of upgrades, so parts did change during production.
WHICH parts is a question I don't know the answer to because I didn't take these in for repair.

Parts are all used, and all parts were hand fitted at Colt, so getting a part that's usable in your particular gun may require buying a number of parts to find one that can be fitted.

Here's the main sources of parts. I don't know about now, but years ago, you could send a part to a parts house and they'd try to match it.
Of course, you run the risk of the part getting lost.

COLT Accessories | Numrich Gun Parts

Colt Parts & Gun Parts for Colt Guns

1 - 3 of 3 Posts