Colt Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any ideas as to what the story might be with a Colt 1895 Navy with a three digit (7XX) serial number, looks early as italicized, with matching numbers on the cylinder latch and ejection rod housing. The latter two locations have a star associated with the number and there is a star on the trigger guard. The serial number on the butt lacks a star, and there is no anchor, USN, or additional markings.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
We have a bit of work to do to establish what you have. First, there were no three digit Model of 1895 revolvers, military or civilian, so something is off. Very good, well-lit closeup photos are needed of both sides of the frame, the butt, and all markings. We need to see what type of grips the gun has, and photos of any markings on them. Even if the serial number on the butt has been partially removed, physical characteristics including markings may make it possible to narrow down the date it was made. We're happy to help, but we need more data to chew on.

Buck

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Sorry...I do not have the revolver in my presence, I just know that it is for sale. The grips were removed and nothing is under them. They look very good, and the whole revolver is in nice shape. Last date on barrel is March of 1895, and it is a .38 Long Colt. Only markings are 74X in italic (the X is a 3rd digit) on the butt, a star on the left side of the trigger guard, and a star and the serial number on the thumb lever and inside the ejector when you open it up. Blued with rubber grips. Also, the serial number on the butt runs lengthwise, and not across, which is the typical way a serial number is imprinted on a Model 1895.Any ideas out there?

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have pictures now but they are on my cell phone. I have no way of getting these from my cell phone onto my computer. If anyone is willing to let me text them these photos and can post them from their telephone, please private message me with your telephone number and I will text them to you. Then that individual can post to the forum for the benefit of all. I am sorry, but I am not the most computer savvy. Thank you in advance for your assistance.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I tried doing what twaits recommended, but it seems I can only text to another phone number. If there is ANYONE out there who will graciously allow me to text to a phone number and post the photos on my behalf, I will be most grateful!!!;)

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
These are as big as they came across on text

Star under barrel

Stars on cylinder

Serial 744 and stars

Star on trigger guard

Serial number and star on cylinder release

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Are those stars with a "C" in the middle? or another initial?

The "744" on the butt was placed there after the butt stampings, including the full serial number, were filed off. Notice that the grips overhang the frame bottom indicating that metal was removed from the bottom. The perpetrator, who didn't know the other numbers were assembly numbers, just copied it to the butt for his ready made serial number, since he had removed the military markings to make it appear that the gun wasn't stolen from the Government. And it might not have been stolen, but he didn't know for sure.

What patent dates, if any, are on the barrel top?

The pictures lack detail, but I will try to match characteristics of the gun with details in Bob's book. I may be able to narrow down what it is a bit. For example, it's not an 1889 Navy since it has cylinder stop notches and the added cylinder lock.

Buck

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The last patent date is 1895 on the barrel. Sorry the pictures are not any better. They were those provided by the seller. Thanks!

The stars seem to be just stars. No initials in the middle, from what I recall.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
I think I have it narrowed down a bit. This is a Navy Contract Model of 1895, of which there were several serial number ranges. The key to which range depends on which "star" acceptance stamp it has. All of the stars have a letter in the middle, so you will need to look carefully at the stars with a magnifier to see if it's a "C" or an "I" or a "W". There were only three ranges that used these stars on the left trigger guard web.

Star-C
This series was made in 1895, and the serial range was 16xxx-18xxx. The assembly number was the last three digits of the serial number. The most likely original serial number for your gun is 16744 or 17744 (18744 was outside this contract).

Star-I
This series was made in 1902, and the serial range was 190xxx-191xxx. The assembly number was not related to the serial number, so I can't make a guess as to what it was.

Star-W
This series was made in 1903, and the serial range was 225xxx-227xxx. The assembly number was not related to the serial number, so no original number guess is possible.

So look at the letter in the star. If it's a star-C, the gun is pre-1899, and is an antique not requiring an FFL transfer.

Regards,

Buck

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, there is a C in there, when magnified. Probably evident not magnified, but my vision isn't the best. So it is an antique! Thanks!

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Seller says he has actually sold this pending funds, so I guess I won't be getting this one after all! Good learning experience, though!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts