Colt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Colt 1902 SN 34400 that shows on Colts serial number lookup, Manufactured in 1912 "MODEL 1902 MILITARY AUTOMATIC".
This 1902 does not have the normal Military model characteristics though. I cant seem to figure this one out.
This seems to be a 1902 SPORTING but with a Military serial number.

I do not have a Colt letter on this one yet, but planning on doing so in the near future.

The frame is not squared off or has a lanyard loop. The frame is the same size as a "Sporting" model from what I can tell.
The magazine (not a factory Colt magazine) is a 7 round magazine, while the Military models were 8 round capacity.

Markings:
  • "VP" on the trigger guard on the left side of the gun
  • "P" on the lower trigger guard on the left side
  • Rampant Colt on the rear left slide without a circle
  • "P" on the underside of the slide beneath where the firing pin sits
  • "7" in the slide/frame groove on the right side of the frame
Another interesting thing (maybe not);
there are deep cuts on the inside of the slide where the slide fits into the frame rail grooves. Most of my colts, the machining is clean. This may be nothing, but just wanted to throw it out there.

Anybody have any ideas what this 1902 is all about?

Thank you

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's actually a "1903 Pocket Hammer." Same gun as the Sporting but with a shorter barrel.
hmmmm....I didnt even consider that it was misrepresented when I bought it haha.
I have a 1903 Pocket Hammer but it at another location. Ill have to take some measurements and compare. This is significantly smaller than my 1903 Hammerless. But now that you mention it, I believe you are correct.
Below is the "1902" and the 1903 hemmerless side by side

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im still learning a lot about these old Colts and I thought the 1903s were all chambered .32. Just doing some more research now, I am seeing the pocket hammer pistols were chambered in .38 as well as the 1902s and 1900.
Learning a lot right now! lol
Thanks for the feedback

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Nice grouping! From top left down, you show a (very nice) 1902 Sporting (.38 ACP), the 1903 Pocket Model aka Pocket Hammer (.38 ACP), a 1903 Model M Pocket HammerLESS, and a 1908 Model N Vest Pocket. The Model M Pocket Hammerless was mostly in .32 ACP but there were quite a few in .380 ACP (not .38 ACP which is confusing, I know). Since the .380 version was introduced in 1908 collectors call it the 1908 Pocket Hammerless. Not to be confused with the 1908 Vest Pocket :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well the mystery has been solved! Thank you everyone for your feedback and sharing of knowledge.
I just picked up my other Colt 1903 pocket hammer SN 27944 from another location and checked them out side by side...and it IS a 1903 Hammer. I purchased the gun in question from a well known auction house who advertised it as a 1902 sporting. I believe I paid a little much for this one ($900 give or take) but as a few of the members pointed out, this 1903 shipped to the Browning Brothers. I think thats pretty cool in itself.
Here are the 2 1903s side by side (not sure what the deal is with the machine turning on the barrel on SN 27944). ANOTHER MYSTERY haha

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
The uppermost left pistol is actually a Model 1900 with the sight safety altered, note the second transverse pin near the rear sight. Nice bluing!!
Good catch, I couldn't see that. The wood grips should have been a clue though, I missed that too. :)
Even more goodness then!

·
Premium Member
1,083 Posts
I have a Colt 1902 SN 34400 that shows on Colts serial number lookup, Manufactured in 1912 "MODEL 1902 MILITARY AUTOMATIC".
This 1902 does not have the normal Military model characteristics though. I cant seem to figure this one out.
This seems to be a 1902 SPORTING but with a Military serial number.

I do not have a Colt letter on this one yet, but planning on doing so in the near future.

The frame is not squared off or has a lanyard loop. The frame is the same size as a "Sporting" model from what I can tell.
The magazine (not a factory Colt magazine) is a 7 round magazine, while the Military models were 8 round capacity.

Markings:
  • "VP" on the trigger guard on the left side of the gun
  • "P" on the lower trigger guard on the left side
  • Rampant Colt on the rear left slide without a circle
  • "P" on the underside of the slide beneath where the firing pin sits
  • "7" in the slide/frame groove on the right side of the frame
Another interesting thing (maybe not);
there are deep cuts on the inside of the slide where the slide fits into the frame rail grooves. Most of my colts, the machining is clean. This may be nothing, but just wanted to throw it out there.

Anybody have any ideas what this 1902 is all about?

Thank you View attachment 711251 View attachment 711252 View attachment 711253 View attachment 711257 View attachment 711254 View attachment 711256
For a "learner", you have a bunch of nice examples.
Are you maybe sh-----g us?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
For a "learner", you have a bunch of nice examples.
Are you maybe sh-----g us?
haha thank you. I’ve gotten pretty lucky with most of these purchases. I’m in Orange County CA, and right now you can’t find a Glock or an AR15 to save your life (unless you are wanting to pay 3 times what they were going for). So the colt collector market seems to be flying under the radar for the moment.
This forum and one of the members in particular has been a wealth of knowledge.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts