Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you really think this was a factory error that there was no slide marking on one side? I had it on my radar because I always wanted one in the box, but shied away last night when it went to $4K and because of the slide markings. IMHO the matching box is probably worth $1500 to me. Your thoughts on the slide.
jackthedog
COLT ~ 1902 MILITARY .38 AUTOMATIC...Rare Factory Error!... GOOD SHAPE IN ORIGINAL BOX!...Mfd 1915...NO RESV! - 38

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I would like to measure the slide thickness, check bluing and take magnifying loupes to both side of the rear serrations to see if the slide serrations are identical or maybe one side was refinished?

·
Registered
405 Posts
I would like to measure the slide thickness, check bluing and take magnifying loupes to both side of the rear serrations to see if the slide serrations are identical or maybe one side was refinished?
It sure looks 100% original to me

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
It also looks great to me. Missing slide markings is certainly unusual, but I see nothing else to give me any concern on this one. 1902 with a box... that's not something you see often! Someone got a great score!

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Look at this right side rear slide serrations and compare them to the left side. Right side: note in the picture the rounded lower edge and the top and bottom edges do not come to a nice crisp clean point. The forward three vertical serration edges look as though they may have been flattened just a little, maybe by grinding? I own a refinished slide done by Colt which is really tough to discern - giveaway was the later date markings.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For comparison. The left side has crisp rear serrations, both on the vertical and on each end which come to a sharp point; not as rounded as the picture of the right side in the previous post. The lower edge of the entire slide looks a little more rounded to my eyes. Could be camera angles, pictures or my eyes - but I am still somewhat skeptical and would like to see it in person. It is still a very nice addition to someone's collection.

·
Registered
11,373 Posts
As the others have noted, certainly looks original. Over the years I have seen more "factory errors" in Colts than any of the other major manufacturers. Most seem to be wrong caliber markings.

·
Registered
5,889 Posts
Did the machinist use the same cutter on both the right & left on the slide serrations? Or is it a different tool used to make the cuts on each side?
School me, here.
Very likely, the was a jig that could be turned around and flipped over to accommodate the operation.
Or, if there was a setup that just used 2 cutters, the cut might be slightly different, depending on the condition of the cutter.
That thing looks to be right, except for the absence of the roll mark.
Real nice.

·
Registered
7,956 Posts
Judging by the rust freckles by the stock, I'd think that the slide had rusted and was refinished. The rounded edge is also a giveaway.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Ted... I am pretty certain that what you are seeing are reflections from the photography lighting. These same reflections are visible on the left side of the slide... and between the 6th and 7th picture in the auction, the reflection moves to the serrations.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Why not Colt? 1900 3813 e.JPG 1900 3813 d.JPG 1900 3813 b (2).JPG 1900 3813 a (2).JPG I own a few examples of Colt refinish like this model 1900 slide numbered to the frame mfg'd in 1902 with slide roll marks circa 1913-1918. See Sheldon's Colt 38 Automatic Pistol's pages 40-41.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Gentlemen,
I purchased this pistol and I asked Mark many questions about it prior to bidding. Imo the lighting/edge wear are playing tricks with our eyes in certain photos. As Rob points out, photo 6 and 7 show a similar condition on the left side of the slide and then look at picture 8 where the left side serrations look totally different then in picture 7.
The "look" of a radius on the right slide bottom in some pictures you can see the edge wear on the outside and inside of the edge and some blueing remaining in between the edge wear which imo makes it look "rounded" when it is not.

When I get it in hand, I will have more answers but this is a reputable seller that I have dealt with many times and he stands behind the pieces he sells. If there is something wrong, I'm sure we will make it good. But I was sold on the box and papers with the piece.

Im attempting to find out a little more about the piece as supposedly it came into an FFL prior to being auctioned and sold by the original owners family. So I'd like to find out more about the original owner and the travels of this piece if possible.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Is it possible to refinish one side of the slide and not refinish the other side?

If one side had the markings removed and was refinished wouldn't the other side have to have to at least been refinished?

·
Registered
11,373 Posts
Why not Colt? I own a few examples of Colt refinish like this model 1900 slide numbered to the frame mfg'd in 1902 with slide roll marks circa 1913-1918. See Sheldon's Colt 38 Automatic Pistol's pages 40-41.
Not saying that Colt didn't refinish pistols, but just not that one. The pistol show in the original post was made at a time when Colt was transitioning from the high polish with fire blued small parts to a less polished finish and no fire blued small parts. How would it have received the early type finish in later years? The left side of the slide shows the original roll markings with no sign of refinish.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Not saying that Colt didn't refinish pistols, but just not that one. The pistol show in the original post was made at a time when Colt was transitioning from the high polish with fire blued small parts to a less polished finish and no fire blued small parts. How would it have received the early type finish in later years? The left side of the slide shows the original roll markings with no sign of refinish.
John,
i appreciate that you saw what I saw. Also I ran this by a few knowledgeable gentlemen like yourselves, and they didn't see any red flags as to the finish being original.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts