Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm new and would appreciate some info. I am looking at a Colt REVOLVER 1902. The RAC inspector stamp is on the trigger guard but not on the frame. Additionally, there is no serial number on the butt but there are matching 4 digit numbers on the frame Where is the full 5 digit serial number supposed to be? Any other markings I should be looking for?

Tks

Antoin

·
Registered
3,775 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks-- 1902 is on frame-- I dont remember seeing the Jtt-- Where on frame should it be? I'll go back to Pawn shop in A.m.. and check.

·
Premium Member
5,512 Posts
There should also be a U.S. stamped on the right side of the frame just under the cylinder and above the front of the trigger guard. Be careful - if there is no serial number on the butt, there may be legal prohibitions to owning the gun.

·
Registered
746 Posts
.... Should have JTT inspection on the frame.....
Major General John Taliaferro Thompson, inventor of the "Tommy gun". Also member of the Thompson-LaGarde commission of the early 1900s, which was called to determine the proper caliber for a new handgun for the U.S. Army in light of the failure of the .38 Long Colt in the Phillippines Insurrection.
John T. Thompson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here is a similar revolver I just acquired. There are two lines of serial number on the butt, two other locations (one on the body and one on the cylinder have the last 4 numbers of the serial number and the first number is on the left side of the barrel. Also has RAC on the body, the cylinder and above the grip on the left side. Note the very short barrel. Was $750 a good buy?

100_6207.JPG

1 - 7 of 7 Posts