Colt Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,
Is it possible to use a frame for the Colt 1903 .32 from a 1907 (type 1) with a slide and barrel from a 1926 model ?
is there more than one frame for the .32 or is it a one size fits all ?
I am asking about the .32 and not the .380 version.
It seems that finding a usable barrel for my 1907 production is a no go, so my next option would be to use a later model slide and barrel with the type 1 frame if at all possible. The 1907 has a very rough slide but a usable frame / trying to get a shooter out of this pile of old pile of parts.

Thanks in advance,
Kris

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
I t-h-I-n-k you can ( use a later Slide and Barrel on a type 1 Frame)...

But, I am confident you will find an early Barrel to replace yours with, if you keep on it a while.

What was the matter with your Barrel? ( Sorry, I do not remember...)

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
The type I had a longer slide and barrel and were shortened 1/4" around S/N 72000 though there was a 60443 s/n M1903 with a shorter slide and barrel. At the same time the rear of the frame was shortened 5/64" making the profile more vertical. (ref Brunner's "The Colt Pocket Hammerless Automatic Pistols II"). In 1915 there was a ridge or step added to the concave cutout of the recoil spring housing at the front of the slide as well (same ref). Then there's the barrel bushing difference. So, we have a number of differences between the early Type I and the later. I'm not comfortable giving a thumbs up. Other opinions may and will vary ;)

·
Registered
206 Posts
I would try the ''worn out'' barrel. I have several model M Colts with barrels that look questionable due to pitting and wear, and they do surprisingly well!.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Barrel

The original Barrel looks like someone took a hammer and pinged it in several places along its length / causing it to have bulges in numerous places along its entire length / I do not know why this was done and I don't know when, But I do know that this action has left it in an unserviceable condition / this was a gimme pistol thrown in while picking up a Colt 1908 .380 that I HAD TO HAVE guess we all have been there before,
So while I now own a .380 in nice condition I also own a .32 that I don't want to part out or any of that sort of thing / It has become a project that I will see through Given that I can find a 4" type 1 barrel, After looking for a while and calling most of the parts shops around the country and watching several auctions for a while for a good example none came up. So then the idea of salvaging some of this old pistol by mating it up with a later slide and barrel came about.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
I do see occasional Slide-Barrel combos on Gunbroker and on ebay.

I know I saw one very recently on ebay...maybe it is still there?

If it fits and works, then, well, it fits and works!

if not, then, at least you tried.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think there maybe a good chance I will try it not discounting what MTNSpur has said / but nothing venture nothing gained,
This little colt is not for the collector nor would it be the cornerstone of my collection BUT it will with some luck become a nice little shooter.
And that is really all I am after on this one. don't want it to go to waste and after all in my mind this old one needs to be resurrected.

·
Registered
5,982 Posts
Just a couple of points:
You will be able to find a barrel. It might not be much more than a chnuk of metal with a hole in it, but they do exist. Even a shot out one will perfom adequately. It helps if the chamber is in at least fair shape.
Is the one you have so badly dinged up that it won't function?
I am not averse to chuckin' stuff up in a lathe and cleaning it up enough to run. Don't remove too much material especially at the barrel/bushing interface area. I have a type III barrel that I am attempting to make right, but those aren't symmetrical/concentric so I am going to try to swage the dinged-in muzzle end. We shall see.....
I'll go look and see if such a thing is in my pile, but I am doubtful. I know there are no bushings in with my junk.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Barrel

Oberon,
The barrel that came with the 1903 is dented in in several places more like five or six places.
These dings / dents are bad enough that trying to make this a shootable barrel is a no go.
It looks almost like sabotage for lack of a better term. I will keep looking, however there were only so many made.
It would be nice if some one with the knowhow decided to make a run of these up / I am sure that they would sell out in record time...,

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Oberon,
The barrel that came with the 1903 is dented in in several places more like five or six places.
These dings / dents are bad enough that trying to make this a shootable barrel is a no go.
It looks almost like sabotage for lack of a better term. I will keep looking, however there were only so many made.
It would be nice if some one with the knowhow decided to make a run of these up / I am sure that they would sell out in record time...,
I wonder if the Barrel had some 'Bulges' ( like from 'Squibs' being fired on ) and, someone tried to crudely Hammer them down somewhat.

Can you post some images of the poor old Barrel?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will be more than happy to post up some Photos after I get back home / 2 weeks and counting!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have barrel

If you need a 32 acp barrel from an early 1903 Colt (barrel bushing type) I have one I'm not using. It looks good on the outside but has a rough bore. If you are interested you can email me. [email protected]

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
BradW,
That is an awesome gesture, truly the hallmark of what a Genuine collectors community should be.
I will email you and Thanks again.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Greetings,Is it possible to use a frame for the Colt 1903 .32 from a 1907 (type 1) with a slide and barrel from a 1926 model ?is there more than one frame for the .32 or is it a one size fits all ?I am asking about the .32 and not the .380 version.It seems that finding a usable barrel for my 1907 production is a no go, so my next option would be to use a later model slide and barrel with the type 1 frame if at all possible. The 1907 has a very rough slide but a usable frame / trying to get a shooter out of this pile of old pile of parts. Thanks in advance,Kris
Check numrich I was looking for a .380 barrel and saw that they had a type 1 .32. I almost bought for a future acquisition.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts