Colt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Local dealer has a shooter grade 1903 for $300. When I went to open the slide to inspect the innards, the slide did not lock back, although the magazine was inserted. Is this normal for this pistol? I'm considering buying it, but I want to make sure it at least works properly. Anything else I should look for? Bore is bright. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
9,700 Posts
If you look at the magazine and receiver area where the magazine "tops out," you will see that the Model M does not have the mechanism to lock the slide open after the last shoot. There is nothing wrong with the pistol.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Judge is right of course.
If you want to inspect the insides. push the slide all the way to the rear and while holding it, engage the safety. There is a notch on the slide for just that purpose. This will lock the slide open.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, guys. I did engage the safety to hold the slide open, just wanted to make sure it wasn't supposed to do it automatically. I should have had enough sense to look for the hold back mechanism. Some days, the bulb burns brighter than others... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

1 - 4 of 4 Posts