Colt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Colt 1903 Hammer .38ACP. Another 'show & tell' but for a different reason. Years ago pre-internet, falsely described as a 1902, it came to me as as a parts gun badly pitted and evidence of several bubba attempts. Stuck with it, became a challenge. A complete DIY job including replacing lettering, nickel plating and probably the only faux ivory Colt type repro grips. I was able to find a replacement barrel with a fine bore. Not worth a lot but it being my first DIY restoration & so much effort, I love it like my own child.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I agree, Good Job! I got to shoot an original, in excellent condition, a few years ago with .38 ACP ammo purchased from a cartridge collector. Functioned 100%. I've thought they were pretty neat guns ever since.

Ps, wish they'd used something like yours, engraved, rather than the 1911s in the Titanic movie.....

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I found a before/after shot to post.

The grips are a story. I ordered a pair of black repro grips that came with holes about half a hole mismatch. Supplier said he had just taken over the biz & that's all he had. I sent him a real Colt grip to copy. He offered me a free pair of grips so I asked if he could make me a pair in faux ivory - yes but not in the usual offerings. Since little else is original in my re-created 1903, why not the different grips. Others have noticed the font used for the lettering is non-Colt but it was all I could do at the time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.