Colt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve got a 1903 hammerless, factorynickel, that came with old genuine MOP grips WITHOUT the Colt Medallion. Itried researching to see if these could have been factory original grips butcouldn’t find any answers. IIRC, I saw some lettered guns but none verifyingnon-medallion MOP grips as factory.

Then today, in this forum, I saw thethread about the recently auctioned engraved 1903. In that thread, Obiefoxposted a pic of a lettered gun with non-medallion MOP grips stating MOP gripsfrom the factory.
Were there period-correct aftermarketMOP grips mad for the 1903? And if so, how can we distinguish between factoryand aftermarket, non-medallion, MOP grips?
PS: I’m waiting for my letter backfrom Colt on my gun.

·
Premium Member
2,200 Posts
I’ve got a 1903 hammerless, factorynickel, that came with old genuine MOP grips WITHOUT the Colt Medallion. Itried researching to see if these could have been factory original grips butcouldn’t find any answers. IIRC, I saw some lettered guns but none verifyingnon-medallion MOP grips as factory.

Then today, in this forum, I saw thethread about the recently auctioned engraved 1903. In that thread, Obiefoxposted a pic of a lettered gun with non-medallion MOP grips stating MOP gripsfrom the factory.
Were there period-correct aftermarketMOP grips mad for the 1903? And if so, how can we distinguish between factoryand aftermarket, non-medallion, MOP grips?
PS: I’m waiting for my letter backfrom Colt on my gun.

Colt did not install medallions in their factory supplied special order MOP and ivory stocks until 1911. If the stocks are Colt factory they will have regular factory (serrated perimeter) escutcheons with the standard factory stock screw. The backside will be fitted with red or black hardboard locating spacers attached with flathead brass screws. All period aftermarket MOP stocks that I have observed have brass locating pins rather than the spacer shoes. Below is a photo of factory spacers on a pair of Model N stocks. Factory M stocks would have similar spacers.

FPN  2.JPG

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that info! Mine have the brass locating pins. BTW, my typing & spacing is not as bad as it appears; apparently my browser's not jiving well with the forum.

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
There are exceptions to the use of spacers by the Colt factory when fitting some pre-1911 mother of pearl and ivory stocks. The very earliest examples have extra screws added to the frame (under the stocks), and the stocks have a corresponding recess made to accommodate the screw.

This is the first factory gold inlaid 1903 Pocket Hammerless .32 ACP (ca. 1903) and the first documented example of this model shipped with factory mother of pearl (these pearl stocks are replacements). There are screws in the frame and reliefs in the stocks:

This is the first 1908 Vest Pocket .25 ACP (ca. 1909) shipped with factory ivory. There are screws in the frame and reliefs in the stocks:

This is the first factory gold inlaid 1908 Colt Vest Pocket .25 ACP (ca. 1909) with factory relief carved monogrammed mother or pearl also with screws in the frame and reliefs in the stocks:

Colt 1908 Vest Pocket sn 22076 is factory inscribed, and letters pearl, but I suspect the stock were non-medallion and were replaced with early recessed medallion variations as medallions were not available until 1911. It's hos I bought it, so it's how I left it. This pistol does not have screws in the frame:

Hard to pin down when the transition from frame screws to spacers occurred, but may have been 1909/1910.

Sam

·
Premium Member
2,200 Posts
There are exceptions to the use of spacers by the Colt factory when fitting some pre-1911 mother of pearl and ivory stocks. The very earliest examples have extra screws added to the frame (under the stocks), and the stocks have a corresponding recess made to accommodate the screw.

Hard to pin down with the transition from frame screws to spacers occurred, but may have been 1909/1910.

Sam
Great information.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Absolutely, ditto! Thank you both very much! I'll have to see if I can get some pics of mine and the pearl grips that came on it to contribute to the thread.

·
Premium Member
10,265 Posts
coltengraved48182obiefox.jpg

Most Excellent Obiefox

Reactions: lboos

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Obiefox and ei8ht..beautiful guns! Thanks.

One observation. My MOP grips with pins appear to have the same knurled escutcheons as the factory ones. Mine have a brass one on the screw-head side and nickel-silver (?) on the opposite side. Hard to tell from the photos but are yours this way?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nice group there bearcat6. Have you had any of them lettered and if so did they mention factory MOP grips?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts