Colt Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found a 1903 Hammerless, serial 1396XX. It is a type 3. DOB 1912. It still has some original finish but is definitely a shooter grade. The rifling looks great. Apparently it is all original.

I read on the slide Calibre 32 Rimless Smokeless. I am assuming this is .32ACP, as in 71 grain FMJ. I don't plan to shoot the pistol until I get confirmation on that. The reason I'm asking is .32ACP has a bit of a rim, enough to create rimlock in some guns, and this gun says rimless.

Did the original magazines have any identifying marks?

I am wanting to take off the walnut grips and place them in storage. I'm considering some repro rubber grips to shoot the pistol with. What were the years that the 1903 rubber grips changed? Edited to add: obviously the grips have now been changed.

Is there a website anywhere that gives directions for detail stripping this pistol? I have the field stripping down pat now. The trigger has a bit of creep (not take-up). Is this normal for the 1903?

------------------
Xavier's Guns

[This message has been edited by XavierBreath (edited 01-31-2005).]

[This message has been edited by XavierBreath (edited 02-23-2005).]

[This message has been edited by XavierBreath (edited 02-23-2005).]

·
Registered
909 Posts
It is .32ACP. The Model M was also made in .380 cal. A 1912 magazine would have no markings and be solid blue (heat treated two-tones began in 1913). There were several versions of hard rubber grips on early guns, Colt began using walnut in 1924. Yours would have been hard rubber in 1912.
Check out www.coltautos.com.
These are real cupcakes to shoot, and more reliable than the .380's.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts