Colt Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Colt 1903 magazines are coming out of the woodwork, bringing $70. and upwards. Since a type III 1903 magazine will not work in a type IV 1903 (the follower in the type type III is longer and interferes with the magazine safety in the type IV), just install a type 2 recoil spring guide (has no spring loaded detent pin in end of guide) which will work with any 1903 magazine. Be aware that this will deactivate the magazine satety.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I bought one of the aftermarket mags,just so I could have an extra mag.The follower is not the same as original.It causes the shells to jam.The spring is also narrower.My advice on the aftermarket mags is to save your money and don't buy them.But it is a shame that the originals cost so much.I wish someone would make a more decent aftermarket.But you're right.The originals bring about $70 a piece.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought a 1903 Mag from Sportsmans Guide which was a piece of junk. I got so mad trying to put a Wolff spring in it (impossible) that I crushed it in my bench vise (It felt good). If someone would make a quality repro (like Mec-Gar) that would probably be a good buy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts