Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone
I’m new to the forum but I’ve been wanting a 1903 for a while now. A local shop has one listed for $600 but it’s missing a pin or screw which I believe is either for the hammer or the safety. Also the trigger has a lot of play in it. They said they’d take $50 off of it.

I’m just wondering how big of a deal that missing pin could be or if something inside is missing as well.
Can anyone identify the missing part? I think it’s the hammer roll.
The finish is worn in some spots but looks decent.
Is this a decent price?

The pistol is from 1916
Thanks for looking
36B504F2-B38E-42C3-8E6C-2A11FBADAA71.png

·
Registered
5,480 Posts
The missing part is a thumb safety pivot retaining screw. Early model Ms did not have it, but it was added in 1904. 1911, the frame and safety was modified so as to not require the retaining screw, and so on through the remaining production years. It should not be too difficult to find it somewhere. There are OE salvage parts around and new ones like Jack First. Without the retaining screw in pistols that require it, there is a risk of the thumb safety migrating out of position, and if it got flipped around, it could easily be lost.
Check the serial number on that thing. A 1916 model M does not have the retaining screw.
Show images of the whole pistol.
I believe $600 is not unreasonable, but $550 is better.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The missing part is a thumb safety pivot retaining screw. Early model Ms did not have it, but it was added in 1904. 1911, the slide and safety was modified so as to not require the retaining screw, and so on through the remaining production years. It should not be too difficult to find it somewhere. There are OE salvage parts around and new ones like Jack First. Without the retaining screw in pistols that require it, there is a risk of the thumb safety migrating out of position, and if it got flipped around, it could easily be lost.
Check the serial number on that thing. A 1916 model M does not have the retaining screw.
Show images of the whole pistol.
I believe $600 is not unreasonable, but $550 is better.
The serial number is 234xxx. If there isn’t supposed to be a screw in there shouldn’t there be a rivet there?
The other side looks fine of the thumb safety but it feels mushy. This was the only picture I have of the gun. I know I should’ve taken more but I wanted a picture of that part.
Thanks for the information

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
Like Oberon says, it has the wrong thumb safety in it. Someone probably replaced it with a part on hand instead of the right part.
It should be interchangeable, as long as someone didn't booger it up when they replaced it.
There may be more to it, like the multi-spring and/or mainspring needing help if it currently feels mushy.
It's pretty easy to swap the safety lever out w/o taking the whole thing apart, as long as you have a punch or drill rod of the same size to act as a dummy to hold the hammer in place. Really, as long as the frame/slide hasn't been damaged, you can fix pretty much anything on these with a little patience and good parts.

The correct part will probably run around $50+ bucks though, plus labor (even if you do it yourself, your time is money too).
So use that as a bargaining chip.
The good news is that if the current incorrect part isn't damaged (and it's original) you should be able to sell it and recoup the money.

JackFirst has a new repro for $85, #4-13-2 but I'd hold out for an original part (there's one on evilpay for instance).

·
Registered
5,480 Posts
Yes, indeed. The earlier part will fit in the same place, but it will have the potential to migrate, the correct one is profiled differently to fit in the later frame without the need for a retaining screw.
234XXX is a 1916 gun.
I say, 'buy it' and make it the way bit should be.
You will not be disappointed.

·
Registered
7,217 Posts
Welcome to the COLT Forum from the Cradle Of Liberty...Pennsylvania !!

Enjoy Our Community... and that new to you '03 Pocket Hammerless !!

My
Colt Model M 1908 Pocket Hammerless

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for the replies and information. Sorry I am just now responding, I've been a bit busy. I just got the pistol and did a basic field strip to clean and lube it. I have a wolf spring kit and the correct safety on the way. I'll post some pictures soon.

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
Congrats! This is your first 1903 but, in all probability, it won't be your last. They're addictive. It's a "disease" that many of us here on the Forum have contracted and there's no known antidote...so we just keep buying 'em (along with 1908's and the little Vest Pocket 1908's). Many have tried to intervene but it's hopeless...

Reactions: oberon

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
It probably won't hurt the functioning. It's a shame people sometime used a $100 gun (at the time), in place of a $2 hammer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts