Colt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went and looked today at a colt 1903. I dont know a whole lot about these pistols, so I have some questions about it. The serial number if I remember correctly was 5 digits, and started with a 3, which would seem to put it at being a 1906. I could be wrong about that though. It comes with 3 mags, one of them is original colt, the other two are aftermarket Im guessing, since they dont have any stampings on the base plate. The finish has some wear on it, the bore looks decent, no real pitting. One of the grips has a slight crack in it, you have to look to see it. Where else do I look to find the serial number to see if it is numbers matching? Price is $730. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
That thing is a type I, and the original mag would be all blue with no markings, with a pinned base.
Check on Colt Automatic Pistol & Revolver Information. Those mags may be OK, and the marked one is from a later production pistol.
$730 is way out of line for that thing. Offer him about $400 or so and see what he says. And be sure to authenticate the mags. A single correct mag from any type is about $100 & up.
Those things are among the very best pistols ever built, but you ought to be able to get into one for considerably less $.

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
Those grips are very pricy to replace and the finish leaves a lot to be desired in that price range, although it does still exhibit some of the beautiful fire blue on the small parts. I believe it is worth more than the 400 previously mentioned and is probably around the 5 mark if it is a 4 digit serial. Don't forget you also have to pay the silly slaes tax at cabellas that is going to drive it up even higher

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
Rob I think he said 5 digit serial number ;) . I agree, I think it's overpriced for the condition and while the M1903's are seeing a nice increase in valuation this one isn't near that asking price. I don't think Cabelas will move more than 10% or so off their asking price unless you can really convince the gun library manager that this pistol's better days, condition wise, are long behind her. As far as the magazines, they could be factory if unmarked but without seeing the mags, hard to say.

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
You're right man, I am sorry. I still think it could pull 500 on the market in that condition though. Thank you for correcting me sir, I should really make sure my facts are straight before posting.
Rob I think he said 5 digit serial number ;) . I agree, I think it's overpriced for the condition and while the M1903's are seeing a nice increase in valuation this one isn't near that asking price. I don't think Cabelas will move more than 10% or so off their asking price unless you can really convince the gun library manager that this pistol's better days, condition wise, are long behind her. As far as the magazines, they could be factory if unmarked but without seeing the mags, hard to say.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am seriously looking for a 1903 and found one in a local gun store { 1920 year of manufacture } with 95% of the finish gone. No other issues , good bore, 1 mag, excellent grips , etc . Priced at $495.00 but would sell for $475.00 cash. I passed on it ...the asking price of $730. you stated..... is waaaay too much $ in my book.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all of the replies. I am going to pass on it, and pretty much forget about looking in the Cabelas gun library for anything. This has prompted me to get my C&R FFL though, so thats a good thing. Mailed out the forms yesterday.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Keep a 32 pocket pistol in mind, simply wait and see. It is a very accurate piece. I have one and will never part with it. As good as it gets. U can find replacement grips but the original ones set in the frame and last, even with a crack forever. Just do not take the gun down past field stripping as it is a boner to put back together. Simply clean and oil with the grips removed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts