Colt Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I am trying to figure out the best way to reduce the amount of pressure needed to compress the grip safety on a Colt 1903 pistol.

My first instinct is to reduce the 'curve' of the short part of the hammer spring.
  • I realize that there is a relationship between this and the hammer spring pressure itself.
  • However, I can't think of anything else that would reduce the amount of effort required to squeeze it to the 'fire' position.
  • I swear that mine requires at least 10lbs of pressure to disengage the grip safety.
  • I think that doing this, with a slight addition of curve to the long part of the hammer spring to make up the reduction on the other side, will result in less effort needed, while not significantly reducing the friction on the slide during recoil [generated by hammer spring weight].
However, would doing this have any significant impact on the trigger/sear spring weight, as the hammer/safety spring isn't pressing them down as firmly?

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry- all is well now. I was measuring the grip safety after a detail strip and when everything except the hammer and hammer pivot/safety lever were installed. Thus, I was fighting the hammer spring. Now it is more 'normal'- probably 6lbs or so. I'd kind of like the trigger to break closer to 4lbs, as it feels like 6 as well. However, I'll take a safe 6 lbs to a 4 that might have issues with sear reset.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts