Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is the Colt 1903 32ACP the same frame size as a 1908 380 ACP? I have a Colt 32 ACP. I was thinking of acquiring a 380. Was hoping it would fit in the same carry holster. Thank you.

·
Registered
5,889 Posts
In general, and for all practical purposes, 1903 and 1908 model Ms are identical in terms of exterior dimensions. A 1908 model N is significantly different. But a 1905-1906 Browning .25 will fit a model N holster. They are virtually the same pistol, but not 100% identical.
Some 1903s can be swapped out to run .380 acp, but it is not true for all of 'em. Some .32 frames have suffucient clearance to allow seating of a slightly wider .380 magazine, but not all.
I have tried some of mine and, sure enough, some will do it and others won't.
A .380 barrel will swap out easy and for sure in a type III.
Now y'all got be perplexed and wonderin' if type II barrels will swap out the same.
I'm gonna go check it out this afternoon, but I suspect they will.
Q: Will a type II 1908 model M swap magazine and barrel with a 1903 type II and be runnable, and vice versa?

We shall see.......

Keeping in mind: this is a purely pointless question, to the extent that, if folks want a .380, then buy a .380, and same for a .32.

Edit: I cannot find the combination of magazines, frames & barrels that I used to swap out. I did it once, and I must have gotten lucky, because I can't find the ones that worked now. Just goes to show ya.........

·
Registered
7,951 Posts
I seem to recall an article in one of those paper gun magazines about conversions, and seem to recall there being a 1908 Pocket Hammerless 380 with a 32 barrel and magazine to convert to 32 ACP.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts