Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After seeing all of tedm Colt 1905's I had to have one. Been sereaching for a few years now and finally found one. The timing was never quite right. Sometimes I had the money and something else came up or out of my price range. Then other times I would find one for the right price and didn't have the money. Well it all came together this week. I found one with in my price range and I had the money. So here it is.
Colt model 1905 military 45 acp. Manufactured in 1909 with long spur hammer. The grips are in good shape but the finish is not the greatest. The magazine is in fair condition. Locks up tight and I wouldn't be afraid to shoot it. Overall I am satisfied with the purchase and glad to finally have one in my collection. Oh should I get this lettered? I do have Goddards book The Government Models it has a list of where a lot of the 1905's shipped too. My serial number 4063 is not listed in the book. Since it is not listed in Goddards book. I wonder if the shipping destination would be interesting or shipped to a hardware store?

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Congratulations. It's always a great feeling to find something you've been searching for.
Now the search will be on for the next grail gun.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Congratulations. It's always a great feeling to find something you've been searching for.
Now the search will be on for the next grail gun.

I haven't thought about it much but one I would like to have is a Colt 1900 sight safety model.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well, this is what can happen when you shoot the tar out of one :)
at this point these are best left as static displays.

Yours is in uncommonly nice shape!
I'd agree, get a letter on it.
It may not be something super cool but it'll be nice to know.

View attachment 713946

Ouch, I would be extremely disappointed if I cracked the slide. This one will not be shot a lot. Maybe a few rounds with the correct ammo.

·
Premium Member
9,500 Posts
It is my understanding that slide cracking on an M1905 is most likely caused by shooting full-power 230-grain M1911-pattern ammunition. The M1905 was designed to shoot 200-grain ammunition. The 230-grain, higher-velocity M1911-pattern ammunition imparts too much slide velocity to the slide of the M1905, causing the slide to crack as pictured.

I created some very mild handloads using 185-grain bullets so I can shoot my M1905 on occasion without (much) fear of cracking the slide.

·
Registered
132 Posts
After seeing all of tedm Colt 1905's I had to have one. Been sereaching for a few years now and finally found one. The timing was never quite right. Sometimes I had the money and something else came up or out of my price range. Then other times I would find one for the right price and didn't have the money. Well it all came together this week. I found one with in my price range and I had the money. So here it is.
Colt model 1905 military 45 acp. Manufactured in 1909 with long spur hammer. The grips are in good shape but the finish is not the greatest. The magazine is in fair condition. Locks up tight and I wouldn't be afraid to shoot it. Overall I am satisfied with the purchase and glad to finally have one in my collection. Oh should I get this lettered? I do have Goddards book The Government Models it has a list of where a lot of the 1905's shipped too. My serial number 4063 is not listed in the book. Since it is not listed in Goddards book. I wonder if the shipping destination would be interesting or shipped to a hardware store?

View attachment 713921
View attachment 713922
View attachment 713923
Beauty.....just curious, does your magazine have a patent date in the 1880s on the bottom? At one time I had a 1903? Sporting model in 38acp, and the mag had a patent dated ...I want to say, 1883 on the bottom of the floor plate....that amazed me...
Just goes to show how long Browning had been planning on auto pistols.....

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
The base of all the 1905 .45 mags I’ve seen have been unmarked. The Sept 9. 1884 date was on the base of all the 1900 mags and only the earliest variations of the 1902 Sporting, 1902 Military and 1903 Pocket Hammer mags. These three models eventually evolved away from the use of the patent date.

Sam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
10,634 Posts
The sharp corner shown on the 1905 is an invitation for a crack to start, even with proper ammunition. The original op-rod on the M1 Rifle had a sharp corner that proved to be troublesome because of cracking. The early op-rods were slightly modified to do away with the sharp corner, and the new rods were made without the corner. The op-rods were subject to quite a bit of flexing during firing, and the designers overlooked this potential problem. The modified op-rods were modified with a much smaller cut.

Bottom photo of an original early uncut op-rod with the 90 degree corner that was prone to cracking.

·
Registered
4 Posts
In 1905, Colt introduced a self-calibrating pistol. .45 frameless. It is a .45 Colt automatic pistol, a military model, or, more commonly, a 1905 model.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Beauty.....just curious, does your magazine have a patent date in the 1880s on the bottom? At one time I had a 1903? Sporting model in 38acp, and the mag had a patent dated ...I want to say, 1883 on the bottom of the floor plate....that amazed me...
Just goes to show how long Browning had been planning on auto pistols.....

It has a unmarked base plate.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts