Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

[HR][/HR]how can i tell if the mag is original? i was told the original factory mags are 2-tone with the colt 25 stamped on the bottom. but is that true for all years of production?

i just picked up a colt that was made in 1909. the mag is not 2-tone and there is no stamp. it does not have the normal signs of a factory mag but it has clearly been with the gun for a long time.

were the early model mags different?

·
Premium Member
all can view my website
2,229 Posts
The magazine for your pistol should be solid blue with a rounded top. The base should be pinned with no caliber markings on the base plate. If your magazine is pinned with a round top, you probably have the correct one.

randy

Reactions: 73shovel

·
Registered
736 Posts
The Numrich repro's are all blue and unmarked. But they look brand spanking new.

Mine came with a modified mag marked "Schmiesser", though it still works.

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
Randy is correct.

According to Dr. Brunner's fine book, here are the transitions as they occurred:

1) pinned, unmarked base plate, all blue
2) 1914 @ s/n 110000 top of the magazine (lips) hardened causing loss of bluing, resulting in two-tone effect
3) 1915 @ s/n 130000 caliber marked on bottom of magazine
4) 1919 @ s/n 230000 tube of the magazine crimped to the base plate rather than pinned
5) 1922 @ s/n 325000 top forward edge of the magazine square instead of rounded, as was done later with the Model M
6) 1940 @ s/n 408000 magazine again all blue

·
Registered
253 Posts
Randy is correct.

According to Dr. Brunner's fine book, here are the transitions as they occurred:

2) 1914 @ s/n 110000 top of the magazine (lips) hardened causing loss of bluing, resulting in two-tone effect
4) 1919 @ s/n 230000 tube of the magazine crimped to the base plate rather than pinned
5) 1922 @ s/n 325000 top forward edge of the magazine square instead of rounded, as was done later with the Model M

Would SN # 197xxx have the a mag as listed in #3?

Also 221xxx would also be included in \# 3

Also my 160xx would also have the magw/ 25 caliber & Colt stamped.....

correcto ?

This is excellent information Thanks OD

·
Registered
253 Posts
Randy is correct.

Would the 230000 up have the .25 caliber and Colt name on the bottom of the mag?

ALso can you explain what is "pinned" as opposed to "crimped" to the base ? You have lost me there...

Another followup question:

Would any of the mags from 320,000 forward read .25 caiber Colt?

Also I have seen a 330xxx showing a two tone stamped mag. Is this correct?

Thanks OD

·
Registered
253 Posts
awesome. thanks.
This is great information..I am collecting 1908's and need this type of information to understand which mag is correct to which SN. I have the manual, and taken a battered one apart, lost the mainspring guide, and now I have four. I have been swapping grips and mags to make good sellers and it's working well. I buy some that are missing parts, dirty and sometimes junky... They clean up very well from rust with Kroil. Pitting and frekling,....ahhhh not so much... These are relatively simple semis and fun to work with. One thing I find is I can't mix the SN #'s that appear on the frame and the slide. I have replaced barrels, and small parts, like springs, etc, but I don't mate non matching serial numbered parts since I resell them. These are "fun guns" to work with........OD

·
Registered
253 Posts
awesome. thanks.
This is great information..I am collecting 1908's and need this type of information to understand which mag is correct to which SN. I have the manual, and taken a battered one apart, lost the mainspring guide, and now I have four. I have been swapping grips and mags to make good sellers and it's working well. I buy one that are missing parts, dirty and sometimes junky... They clean up very well from rust with Kroil. Pitting and frekling,....ahhhh not so much... These are relatively simple semis and fun to work with. One thing I find is I can't mix the SN #'s that appear on the frame and the slide. I have replaced barrels, and small parts, like springs, etc, but I don't mate non matching serial numbered parts since I resell them. These are "fun guns" to work with........OD

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
OD

Of course the serial numbers are a close approximation, but the changes are "cumulative" so to speak as the production years progress. All mags (correct to the pistol) after 110000 are two-tone. All after 130000 have marked base plates, as well as being two-tone. All after 230000 are two-tone, with marked base, and crimped construction. All after 325000 are two-tone, marked base, crimped construction, and more squared-off vs. rounded top forward corner. All after 408000 are all blue again, not two-tone, but with marked base, crimped construction, and square top forward corner.

Look at the photos ftballgod posted of his mag. See the two pin heads, ground off flat, attaching the base plate to the mag's tube? I'm sure you've noticed mags with two indentations on either side of the tube just above the base; these are the crimps that attach the base to the tube, replacing the earlier pins, in what is called crimped or "stapled" construction.

Al

Would the 230000 up have the .25 caliber and Colt name on the bottom of the mag?

ALso can you explain what is "pinned" as opposed to "crimped" to the base ? You have lost me there...

Another followup question:

Would any of the mags from 320,000 forward read .25 caiber Colt?

Also I have seen a 330xxx showing a two tone stamped mag. Is this correct?

Thanks OD

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
This is great info !!!! Maybe this would make a good sticky ???

·
Registered
253 Posts
OD

Of course the serial numbers are a close approximation, but the changes are "cumulative" so to speak as the production years progress. All mags (correct to the pistol) after 110000 are two-tone. All after 130000 have marked base plates, as well as being two-tone. All after 230000 are two-tone, with marked base, and crimped construction. All after 325000 are two-tone, marked base, crimped construction, and more squared-off vs. rounded top forward corner. All after 408000 are all blue again, not two-tone, but with marked base, crimped construction, and square top forward corner.

Look at the photos ftballgod posted of his mag. See the two pin heads, ground off flat, attaching the base plate to the mag's tube? I'm sure you've noticed mags with two indentations on either side of the tube just above the base; these are the crimps that attach the base to the tube, replacing the earlier pins, in what is called crimped or "stapled" construction.

Al
Thanks Shovel

I guess I am more familiar with the crimped mags since I haven't seen any with indentations. Are the indentations later on the 1908 models? All my 1908's are early models, as I posted.

·
Registered
253 Posts
OD

Al
OK This mag looks "crimped" to me Correct?

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
The indentations are the crimps. The mag in your photos is crimped construction, but it is not a Colt factory magazine. The crimps on factory mags are shorter, deeper, and more regular (particularly in their alignment with the base plate).

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Here are 2 from 1916 (right) and 1920. They are both 2 tone although it's tougher to see with the older one. Similar stampings with the older being pinned (look closely) and the other crimped.

Finger
Finger Metal
Textile Fur Leather
Gadget Smartphone Mobile phone Communication Device Technology

1 - 20 of 21 Posts