Colt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend recently purchased a century old Colt 1908 (pictured below). The previous owner stated that the finish is nickel but we could not determine whether it was factory original or renickled at some point. Either way the old Colt looked good for its age, except for the replacement stocks, so he purchased it. He then decided to have a respected local gunsmith perform a mechanical inspection and cleaning before taking it to the firing range. The gunsmith informed my friend that he believes it was refinished in chrome.

What are the tell-tale signs for original vs. refinished and nickle vs. chrome?

·
Registered
10,520 Posts
I don't know about anyone else but the picture won't come up on my screen. I just get a little red "X"

·
Registered
10,520 Posts
Its a little hard to tell from this picture, but the edges do seem a little soft and rounded to me. I'd need better pics to be 100% sure but from this one photo I would guess refinish.

·
Registered
806 Posts
finish

like said above, a bit rounded looking ,my guess is refinished and hard to tell by the picture if it is chrome or nickel, in BRIGHT light, if there is a yellowish 'tint" ( glow)? its nickel if it 'white;' its chrome, ,many aftermarket jobs were done in chrome, easier to do and more forgivig, tough to 'fit" alll the parts with nickel plating,LOTS of work needed.........

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input. I will try to get more pictures because I want to show the Forum how clean and sharp the roll marks are on this old pistol. It leaves some doubt in my mind that its been refinished.

·
Registered
127 Posts
looks like a well done nickel refinish to me, but we need better pics to be sure. How about some pics taken outside, on a bright but overcast day, with a decent camera (not a phone camera, or such contraption)? regardless of originality, it sure looks like a nice piece!

Brewer

·
Registered
84 Posts
Nice Colt!

Nice looking Colt!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts