Colt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got the case I ordered from Bills-cases for my 1908 Colt hammerless made in 1928 sn.101212 [I'm sure it prob. belonged to big Al] :). the case is very well made, Bill is a true craftsman.
I got tired of going to the safe to look at my fav, hand gun so I decided to put it in a wooden case and leave it at my computer desk where I can handle it while doing my Al Capone impression's :). I keep a few of my cigars on top of the box where it looks like a cigar box. [I don't keep the bullets in the box, and all my kids are gone].
Does anyone know if the 1-17 on the right bottom of the ammo. box is the date of mnf, or does it have some other meaning ? I got the ammo. box off of ebay and thought it would look good in the case. Thanks for looking, and would like to see your case guns. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I made the custom interiors for two cases. The basic boxes with no interiors came from Hampels Woodland products. I asked for some extra pieces of divider material to be cut up and used for the partitions. The Colt Service Model .22 Conversion Kit is circa 1947-48 and goes with my 1948 Super .38. I do have the original Colt cardboard box that it came in too. The Astra 4000 Falcon Tri-Caliber Kit is pretty scarce, Antaris says fewer than 200 sets were manufactured in 1957-58

Attachments

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Walter,
Looks like your pretty good with gun cases, they look very nice. I tried to make one a few months ago, I just don't have the patience or the skill, ended up throwing it in the trash, it was a complete mess. :bang_wall:

·
Premium Member
1,022 Posts
Hi Walter. Nice work on your Hampels Woodland Case. I have used several of these over the years and they always gave a big bang for your bucks. I like what you did with the dividers and have a similar project in mind for casing my Gold Cup and its matching 22 conversion unit with accessories. Enclosed is my early c1914 Colt OMT in a Hampels Case. Regards, Jackson

Colt OMT c1914 Box and Gun Club Show 10-10-19 002.jpg Colt OMT c1914 Box and Gun Club Show 10-10-19 005.jpg

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Hampels will supply the divider material for their cases for a nominal cost. Make sure to order some extra in case you make a mistake in cutting or measuring, I used Gorilla Glue to glue the pieces to the unfinished wood bottom and to each other, making sure everything was square and plumb. Then I meticulously cut the pieces of felt for each section. I used 3M spray fabric adhesive to stick the felt to the wood. Once I had the piece of felt precisely cut, I sprayed a little adhesive into a little cup (I save cough syrup or Nyquil dose plastic cups for such purposes) and quickly used a small artists brush to apply the liquid adhesive to the wood surface(s) and then set the piece of felt into place and smoothed it down with finger pressure. The adhesive sets up fairly quickly. I also used an Opti-Visor with a built in LED lamp which helped see what the heck I was doing. A little styrofoam from a craft store or some foam core mounting material can be used as spacers or to allow for cylinder cut outs, etc, it is easily glued down and covered with fabric as well.
I re-purposed an old cedar ammo box for the cartridge block in the Astra case rather than try to make one with my drill press.
A fun project and fairly inexpensive. I think the total cost of the oak case I made for the Astra including all materials was under $65.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts