Colt Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I ordered a set of Wolff replacement springs for the three mags I have for my 1917 Colt 1908 Vest Pocket .25.

But I just can't seem to get these extra long Wolff springs compressed enough in the tiny mags to get the followers back in. I did use a cut down wood paint stir stick to compress the springs in the mag and then pin the spring down with a nail while I try to insert the follower.......just no luck. The OEM spring has 11.5 coils and the Wolffs have 15 coils.

So if anyone has had success doing this please share your methods.

Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Well I guess I just posted too early in frustration. I returned to the task and was finally able to get the long Wolff springs in all three mags, 1 OEM Colt, 2 Triple K.

What finally worked for me was to:
1. Compress the Wolff spring as far down as possible and pin it in the last or next to last hole.
2. Compress what is left of the uncompressed spring and pin it in the next up hole.
3. Insert the follower and get it into place with needle nose pliers and a ting screwdriver.
4. Release the top pin and adjust to get the top of the spring in the correct location on the bottom of the follower.
5. Turn the mag top down to your table and release the lower pin. ( I had two that I didn't face down pop the follower out and shoot across the room :eek:)
6. Check that the follower compresses correctly and load.

Now off to the range to see if the Wolff springs fixed FTE issues :confused:

Best of luck!

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the new Wolff springs did not help with the FTE issues. Got one mag, the OEM Colt to fire all 6 shots pretty quickly as the first mag tried, but had a FTE from #5 in the second mag and the same in the third. After reloading all three mags and trying again all three suffered FTE in the first few rounds :confused:
I guess after 96 years she is too tired to function well.........sad as she is a hoot to shoot.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts