Colt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I just joined this forum and I'm looking for a rough value on a 1908 .380 Colt pistol. The serial number is 15x and from what I understand makes it a first year production. The condition is not great. There is light surface rust areas. Does a first year production gun add any value to a fair condition 1908?

Thanks
Ken

·
Premium Member
9,512 Posts
Such a low serial number will add a lot of value to a nice gun, but not much to one near junk or refinished. Let us see some good pictures of the gun.

·
Premium Member
10,092 Posts
380 barrel bushing Hammerless are always interesting beat up or not. With a 3 digit s/n it would be
even more interesting to a collector.
Pictures are a must!

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
I collect a lot of odd-ball Colt autos. Early 1908 380's with the barrel bushing demand a premium. However price is mostly contingent on condition. Put pictures for better pricing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took pictures of the gun today. This belongs to an older neighbor. After I took the pics, I cleaned it and there is some light pitting on the trigger and the back of the slide. It's in fair condition.

Thanks
Ken

Colt 1908a.jpg Colt 1908b.jpg

·
Registered
578 Posts
I hate to break the bad news to you , but that is not a early 380 1908, it does not have a barrel bushing and I have a problem with the 3 digit serial # if it is as you say it is a mix and match pistol, Geraldo

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
10,092 Posts
Ken,
can you post a better picture showing the complete serial number and a picture clearly showing the
left side slide markings. That will give information that will let us tell you more about your pistol.

·
Registered
10,521 Posts
Yes lets see the serial number. My concern is that the serial number has been altered which would be very bad news.

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
'Tis neither fish nor fowl. It is not a type II. There were no type Is in .380. The frame is a type III minimum. If it has the Tensley device, it is a t least a type IV, ie., if it's a .380, it has a mag safety.
It is kinda a mongrel, by the looks. The ser.# will give better insight.
And it ain't a 3 digit # if it is legit.
jes' sayin'....
Somebody pipe up and school me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts