Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for an authentic, not the out of spec Gun Parts Corp. crane lock screw for a Colt 1909. The one I have on it is not a factory part and is oversized and not flush with the frame like the originals. Does anyone know of any other sources?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Is the Gun Parts screw too long to seat flush,or is the head too wide to properly seat flush with the frame(after "locking" the retaining pin)? Either way,it seems a little careful work with a file,and maybe a Dremel to rotate the screw if it is too wide,while you hold the file,like a lathe. If your 1909 has the original finish,and fire blued screws,any replacement will stand out. Good Luck,and thought I had an extra original screw I was gonna send you for xmas,but I don't. Bud

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,882 Posts
The other source of 1909 parts is Jack First. http://www.jackfirstgun.com/

Note that there are no replica 1909 parts other than grips. There's not enough demand to warrant going to the expense of making replicas.

Like most Colt's of the day, parts were hand fitted, and that's why used parts often don't fit. They were previously fitted to another gun, and they don't match.

Another "watch out" is, it's not unusual to get the WRONG part.
Many of the older Colt's parts are very similar, but subtly different, and it's not uncommon for a parts picker to get the wrong item.

Due to these facts, and the limited supply of parts, you may be forced to do some hand fitting to get working a screw.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I plan on refinishing this gun with the correct period Carbonia blue finish and having the screws and appointments fire blued. I guess I could file the part down and polish it to make a close match before sending it in for bluing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts