Colt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never seen a 1911 in 9x23. Is this an uncommon version? I tried a serial number look up to see when it was built and got back 1995 for an 050702 and I am not sure what that means. I am curious as to what this is and if I should bid on it tomorrow.

·
Registered
93 Posts
It is an enhanced model. The sold kits for 9mm,38super,and I think also for 9x23 also. Back to your question. It's fairly scarce. I saw one on gunbroker where a guy was asking crazy money at the time. I think it was 1400. Or 1600. At the time it was nib. But to me an enhanced government model is what it is and it's a buyers market.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
It's an oddball calibre that I believe was intended for the IPSC shooters. It didn't sell very well and I think they were only produced for about 1 year in 1997ish. I also remember 9x23 Conversion Units (top ends). I've never seen one in person, only pic's.

·
Registered
7,951 Posts
9 x 23 Largo and 9 x 23 Winchester are not the same. The 9 x 23 Winchester is basically a rimless .38 Super +P+, while the 9 x 23 Largo is the original 9mm Bergman/Bayard round but loaded by the Spanish a bit warmer.
The 9 x 23 Winchester (1.245); the 38 Super (1.280); whereas the 9 x 23 Largo (1.31) is a tad longer and iirc does not fit into the 1911 magazine.

We have two 9mm Largo pistols, an Astra 400 and a Star Super. While the overall design of the Star mimics the Colt ,they are not the same with the Star grip being a bit longer front to back then the Colt.

·
Premium Member
3,892 Posts
This is an interesting thread, and I was unaware of the 1911 being chambered for the Largo. I guess that since it is sort of rare, it is collectable, but I do not think I would want one. I have a 1911 in 9mm and it is fun to shoot as well as being cheap.

·
Registered
327 Posts
An original 9x23mm Colt Gov't Model is worthwhile if one is a collector. It was made during the heightened interest for increased performance out of a 9mm diameter cartridge and while not "rare", it wasn't made in appreciable numbers and is an unusual chambering. If you are a serious collector, it is a must and if you are a casual collector, it is worth it for potential value in future decades.

An analogue that I own is a S&W model 3566 in .356 TS&W caliber. It too was an enhanced 9mm cartridge [9x21mm] and designed for action shooting competition. I bought it on a whim and frankly forgot about it for years. Now, it is attracting attention by S&W collectors.

Both calibers shoot like a 9x19mm Parabellum pistol with Winchester Ranger 127 grain +P+ ammo or a hot .38 Super loading in a Colt .38 Super Gov't. Model.

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
I also remember 9x23 Conversion Units (top ends). I've never seen one in person, only pic's.
824tsv,

Was doing some research on prewar GM magazines,---and ran into this. Is it the C.U. you remember? (Fifth pic is the other barrel.)

Best Regards,

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,103 Posts
A co worker/ friend of mine offered to give me his 38 super brass ( which I download to fire in my 1903 pocket hammer colt) because with the latest powders available to reloaders, 9x19 is able to make major power levels. So the usefulness of these designs has a limited market. I have limited experience with that type of shooting but some of those tuned race guns are pure pleasure to shoot.

·
Registered
7,951 Posts
The .38 Super has one advantage over the 9mm's in that it can be loaded safely with heavier bullets.

·
Registered
427 Posts
A co worker/ friend of mine offered to give me his 38 super brass ( which I download to fire in my 1903 pocket hammer colt) because with the latest powders available to reloaders, 9x19 is able to make major power levels. So the usefulness of these designs has a limited market. I have limited experience with that type of shooting but some of those tuned race guns are pure pleasure to shoot.
During the 7 year period before the lawsuit between Colt and the originator of the 9 X 23 was settled, the IPSC dropped the power factor to 165, basically obsoleting the 9 X 23.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts