Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10,170 Posts
Your Ithaca appears to be in original finish and configuration, so probably at some time made a trip through Augusta Arsenal and was marked even though not rebuilt.

The right side replacement slide marking shows up on some early Ithaca pistols, and your pistol is in that serial number range.

Nice Ithaca.

·
Registered
10,170 Posts
Forgot to add, but in your serial number range a lot of the Ithaca pistols were originally shipped to Augusta.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The pistol was refinished. When I enlarge the photos, I saw some other markings that were not US Arsenal markings (foreign import?) and parkerizing applied on top of those markings. That tells me the pistol was refinished.

Those none US markings appear on the right slide of the slide before cocking serrations, as well as right side of the frame below M 1911A1 US Army, and possibly on the trigger guard below "7" marking.

·
Registered
10,170 Posts
The markings you are seeing are post WWII German proof marks. It had to be proofed before it could be sold commercially in Germany. Nitro proofed at the Ulm proof house, I believe.

Are you saying it was returned to Augusta Arsenal for refinishing after it was sold commercially in Germany after WWII?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I would not know exactly what happened back then. Personally I think it went to Augusta Arsenal for rebuild while in US military services and later ended in civilian market in Europe. Just try to point out the pistol was refinish previously because of the parkerizing applied over German proof marks.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
The pistol does not appear to be refinished. The AA marking is struck after finish, too. The German proofs indicate this is one of the Russian Lend Lease pistols that was released to a German distributor. Very few ever made it back into the U.S.

There are other known original finish M1911A1 pistols that went through and were marked at RIA during the war which appear to have had nothing done to them. A firsthand inspection would be necessary to say for sure, but I suspect this pistol may have passed through Augusta and had nothing done to it as well.

The gun certainly did NOT go through Augusta Arsenal after being released by the Russians and sold commercially. That's for sure.

The gun is in a proper serial range to have the model marking on the slide, but "P" proofs on the frame and slide would still need to match exactly to be correct. Otherwise, the slide has been changed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts