Colt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Local pawn shop has colt 1911, us marked, diamond grips, serial # to 1918 (350xxx). Colt mfg. Everything looks like WWI, but it has an arched mainspring housing. THought this came later?

The gun and grips are in very nice condition. No pics as yet.

Comments?

Charlie

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
It did come later - when the service pistol was redesignated to M1911A1 and changes made.

Clear photos will tell us what it is, so keep a hand on your wallet.

·
Registered
11,298 Posts
GI 1911 pistols require a lot of knowledge to know and verify what's correct and possibly original. I know the military didn't care about future collectibility...all they wanted was serviceable pistols that worked. Each 1911, even with mixed parts has its own history as do original and correct examples. The difference can be quite a lot in dollars...I certainly don't have the knowledge.

Get quality photos and do some research on it to come up with a fair market value. Tread carefully.

·
Registered
11,625 Posts
The arched mainspring housing didn't happen until serial number 700001 in 1924. This was to be the Model 1911 "Improved", but in 1926 Ordnance decided that it would be the Model 1911A1.

·
Registered
11,298 Posts
The arched mainspring housing didn't happen until serial number 700001 in 1924. This was to be the Model 1911 "Improved", but in 1926 Ordnance decided that it would be the Model 1911A1.

At least it's an easy swap once a correct mainspring housing is obtained.

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
Everywhere...

Not to be simplistic, but original parts are difficult to locate, so cast a wide net.

First, the piece 'may' be a rebuild, so it 'may' have other non-original parts, and rebuild markings, so as a genuine Government-issued piece, it 'may' be correct if it is.

You can't return it to original configuration once rebuilt and so-marked, though many do try.

Post clear photos of any and all markings - it'll simplify things and will help you make an informed decision.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've seen arsenal rebuild markings on guns used in Vietnam. This one is clean of markings unless they are inside. The gun is probably 93 to 95%l, really nice for 99 yrs. See no signs of refinish, but i'm an S&W revolver guy. what is the range of values given the above info, assuming it is all orig other than the mainspring housing. I may make an offer tomorrow, didn't sound like it would last long at the shop. $1200, $1800. $2200. $3000 ??????
I'm a bit of an informed gambler.
Charlie

·
Registered
11,625 Posts
Not all rebuilds were marked.

Need to know if the barrel is correct type. If not, barrel will be harder to find and more expensive than MSH.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
got another look. Viewed some 1911 vs 1911A1 you tubes last night. In addition to the mainspring housing, other 1911A1 parts are the trigger, beavertail, and maybe the barrel. Still has the "black" finish, not parkerized. Slide and frame definitely 1911. I may still make him an offer, thinking $1200?

Charlie

1 - 11 of 11 Posts