Colt Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, looking for some experienced eyes to take a look at this 1966 Colt commercial in nickel. I looked in an old Blue book and I found it refers to this as a 1911A1. The gun is not stamped 1911A1. So am I missing something? So my question is does the serial number with “C” suffix look correct? And does the nickel finish look correct? I can take more pictures if it will help. I would appreciate your help. Also wondering if I should pursue a Colt letter.
Air gun Wood Everyday carry Gun barrel Gun accessory
Bumper Automotive design Automotive exterior Trigger Line
Vertebrate Air gun Mammal Wood Trigger
Trigger Grey Line Gas Air gun
Hand Rectangle Bag Belt Wood

· Registered
11,131 Posts
For those who've never encountered them - the above stocks are the 'Sandblasted Walnut' stocks found on the Series '70's.

This piece should have the dark brown checkered plastic with the molded-in Rampant Colt ogo - the ones that could shrink - which likely happened - and were replaced by these when they did.

Colt used up a helluva lot of pallet wood making these...

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For those who've never encountered them - the above stocks are the 'Sandblasted Walnut' stocks found on the Series '70's.

This piece should have the dark brown checkered plastic with the molded-in Rampant Colt ogo - the ones that could shrink - which likely happened - and were replaced by these when they did.

Colt used up a helluva lot of pallet wood making these...
Good to know. I may have to look for some now. Thanks

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Please post more pictures. There’s several spots on your gun that indicate to me that it could be refinished. But I am not sure without more pictures.
Here’s some more pictures. It’s hard to get really good pictures with the lights in my garage, if it were warmer, I would try sunlight pics. The flats were shiny at one time but seemed to have dulled a bit. The edges seem crisp.
Wood Material property Metal Font Gun accessory
Hood Grille Automotive tire Grey Wood
Composite material Silver Wood Metal Flooring
Material property Rectangle Silver Font Metal
Finger Gadget Communication Device Metal Office supplies
Hood Wood Grey Rectangle Material property
Everyday carry Wood Beige Font Rectangle
Air gun Gun accessory Gun barrel Trigger Everyday carry

· Registered
366 Posts
When trying to ascertain, whether or not a gun has its original finish, you look for things that are out of place. Enough things are out of place and you can say this has been refinished. Two things stand out on your gun, cocking separations on the right side of the slide nine or 10 of them have flat spots up on the high side. And the main spring housing has substantial damage on the separations (Are they dents or rust pits)? When you have finished on top of bad spots that is an indicator. Now by no means do those two indicators say that the gun has been refinished. But it should give you pause.

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
When trying to ascertain, whether or not a gun has its original finish, you look for things that are out of place. Enough things are out of place and you can say this has been refinished. Two things stand out on your gun, cocking separations on the right side of the slide nine or 10 of them have flat spots up on the high side. And the main spring housing has substantial damage on the separations (Are they dents or rust pits)? When you have finished on top of bad spots that is an indicator. Now by no means do those two indicators say that the gun has been refinished. But it should give you pause.
I looked at the spots you mentioned with a magnifying glass, and your right. The slide serrations do have some flat spots. The spring housing has a couple of dings here and there, but not really any rust or pits, maybe a little grim in some grooves.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts