Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently started looking into the 1911 series pistols and am now seriously considering on making it my next purchase. If I do this I would definitely want to go .40, as I have many guns in this caliber, but wanted to get some info from you guys.
I googled it Colt's 1911 in .40 and all I can seem to find is that they only made them for a short while. Anybody know the reasoning behind this?? Didn't sell? Wasn't as smooth/accurate?
Also if I can't find a Colt 1911 in .40, who would be the next best!?
Thanks,
Taylor

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I have a Colt 40/10mm convertible. Yes the Colt Government Model was available for a period in 40 S&W but since the 40 was designed inside the parameters of the 9mm length it was chambered in smaller frame autos that were designed for 9mm. I would guess the 40 S&W didn't sell in the Government Model size.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
I had a Kimber Stainless Commander size 1911 a couple of years ago. It worked OK - Just seemed to be too in between. I sold it after I burned through all the .40 S&W ammo I had.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I picked up my 1st 1911 after spending hours upon days of researching into which 1911 to get. I finally narrowed it down to 2 guns, the Colt 1911 Government Model Combat Elite (Blued slide/Stainless Frame) and the Colt 1911 Government Model XSE (all Stainless frame and slide)

I ran into a guy selling his Mint Condition Combat Elite this past weekend and bought it because I just happen to be at the right place at the right time. I took it to the Farm and shot 50 rds through it and I LOVE IT!!!

Now the problem is, I really preferred the XSE because of the all stainless steel look so my question for you guys is... Aren't they really the same gun, it's just that the "Combat Elite" isn't offered in all stainless steel!? Or am I missing something?
If that XSE shoots the exact same as this Combat Elite I may try trading it out with someone...
Thanks in advance,
Taylor

1 - 8 of 8 Posts