Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased a new / used Colt 1911 Mk IV Series 70 about a month ago.....got a call from my gun shop yesterday wanting to re-check the serial number on the gun. He said he received a call from the State Police inquiring about the number as they had thought he got it wrong in the paperwork.
Seems the gun was made between 81 - 83 and the number reads...... A 70B _ _ _ _ _ _.
They were both trying to determine what the "A" was saying they haven't seen that before in a Colt serial #......
I figure maybe for 1911A1 but not sure...

Anybody know.....?

Thanks.........

·
Registered
931 Posts
I have never seen or read of a MKIV Series 70 Colt having a prefix of "A70B". The 70B prefix was used from '81 to '83 as you said in your post. I also have serial number data up to 1985 and that does not show any letter before the 70B. How bout a good clear pic ?

·
Registered
931 Posts
Not a new or unique issue: The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site - Series 70 GM "A" serial number prefix? suggests (without conformation) that it's either a situation where the original frame was replaced by Colt, OR a duplicate serial number was discovered by Colt, and the pistol was salvaged by adding an "A" to the serial number.
Quite interesting! I have never run across that before. Perhaps a call to Colt could help...although I bet that baffles the phone reps also.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Not a new or unique issue: The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site - Series 70 GM "A" serial number prefix? suggests (without conformation) that it's either a situation where the original frame was replaced by Colt, OR a duplicate serial number was discovered by Colt, and the pistol was salvaged by adding an "A" to the serial number.
I agree with skipsan,
When I worked for Marlin, duplicate numbers were handled in a similar fashion, by adding a letter character to the end of the S/N.
It didn't happen often, but it did occur.......

Tom

1 - 8 of 8 Posts