Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Colt 1911 Gold Cups The best ever made
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This Colt 1911 followed me home today, and honestly, I am not sure what it is. ;) It looks like to me to be a modern reproduction of a 1911A1 and engraved by A&A Engraving out of Rapid City, SD.

It came with paperwork (not dated) with an original MSRP of $2K. The Colt frame shows serial number 28248xx. It's unfired (until this Friday). Here are the pictures (I blacked out the original owner's name---he was from MN). I'll not bore you with what is shown:

It came with a presentation box and a certificate:

The engraving is nice. I'll clean and shoot it. It came to me for less than the MSRP of a new Colt 1911.

·
Registered
622 Posts
If it hasn't been shot, DON'T Shoot it!.............I assume you didn't buy it for a Target or CCW gun...........

Tom

·
Registered
8,057 Posts
It's one of many America Remembers tributes. I think AR used the "1991" Series Frames and slides for these and ordered the Slides blank and in the white for these projects. Personally I don't care for the tin pan gold enhancements that are done on the AR firearms, but I know others do.

I don't think these held the original value very well and have been difficult to resell. But I could be wrong...:rolleyes:

I'd shoot it...what the heck...:cool:

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
When I had to do the range portion of my CWP class, there was a guy standing next to me with a WWI commemorative 1911 with gold inlays and everything. I asked him why he was shooting it. He said because he liked it and it was his only handgun. Shoot it, the commemoratives are notorious for not holding their value. Talk about a wild BBQ gun! :)

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's one of many America Remembers tributes. I think AR used the "1991" Series Frames and slides for these and ordered the Slides blank and in the white for these projects. Personally I don't care for the tin pan gold enhancements that are done on the AR firearms, but I know others do.

I don't think these held the original value very well and have been difficult to resell.
Thanks Kid,
I believe that you are correct in that it is a 01991. I should have noticed this. They share the same 28421xx frame number. My 01991:

This one just has more engraving. ;)

Like here:

If it hasn't been shot, DON'T Shoot it!..
Sorry, but I use them. I like going to a range with a bunch of Glock guys. ;) Me: "It's just a Colt".

·
Registered
12,845 Posts
You know, if you do carry that a lot, and shoot it a lot, and take good care of it...it will wear and mellow and end up looking pretty darned interesting and also end up looking good in a unique way of that. One never gets to see elaborate 'Commemmoratives' having acquired honest carry and use wear and patina.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You know, if you do carry that a lot, and shoot it a lot, and take good care of it...it will wear and mellow and end up looking pretty darned interesting and also end up looking good in a unique way of that. One never gets to see elaborate 'Commemmoratives' having acquired honest carry and use wear and patina.
Thanks Oyeboten,
I can honestly state that the pistol works well at the range. It did a better group than my 01991 (which cost me more). I am sure that it was probably due to something that I can't explain. :confused: The firing pin was dead center, and the ejection was perfect. The hotter the barrel got; the more it liked it. The outside of the slide was covered in dark spent powder which cleaned up as good as new.

Like Kid said, it's a 01991. The parts are identical when field-stripped (except for the shiney stuff, and those beautiful grips ;)).

I had a problem with the original magazine. It imploded. I just picked up the parts and used the spare 01991 mag.

It was good fun, and I also got a few compliments at the range.

Nothing beats a Colt .45 ACP. :) And this one is a tribute to the United States Army.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
It is a Colt! Shoot it, of course!

The commemoratives do not go up in value like many other Colts, so why not enjoy it for its intended purpose?

I congratulate you, Vintage Racer, and heartily approve of your use of this fine Fancy Shooter of a Colt.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I congratulate you and heartily approve of your use of this fine Fancy Shooter of a Colt.
Thanks Mr. Collects,
My research say it's a 2009 (not rare and still available FS, as NIB).

I experienced my first magazine implosion. It was about the 6th reload that the darn bottom just feel out (the bottom plate, spring, and the follower--the magazine stayed in). I've had a magazine failure or two over the years when loading a cartridge, but I've never seen one throw out the spring from the bottom? :confused: It was after the action loaded in a live round.

I immediately ejected the round, removed the remaining part of the mag (including 5 live rounds :eek: :eek:), and picked up the parts that flew out.

I am still working on the problem and may just send in back the the factory? Something is wrong here?

...that's for sure a Barbeque Gun
We like "low country BBQ", that's SC style; but also the real deal: Texas BBQ. ;) Hmm good. :D (J/Kidding).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts