Colt Forum banner

Colt 1911 Serial # 3

3K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  Buickgsman 
#1 ·
#10 ·
Side question. How do you insure something like that if it has to travel distance from one FFL to another FFL? And how much would the insurance charge be?

#12 ·
That’s a strong possibility but being a non FFL and having to declare an item as a firearm in checked baggage for flying,presents a host of other issues. Depending on your state of residence this could be totally illegal,also.

Reactions: Mosby
#17 ·
I hadn’t thought about the legal aspect. I sometimes forget about the regulations we have to protect us from such horrible danger. It obviously makes so much more sense to trust the transport of a collectible gun to a shipping company or the USPS rather than the new owner who might even be in possession of a handgun license (yeah I’m in NY).

TOM

#18 ·
I only use FedEx priority overnight, signature required and delivered before 10 am local time. Never ship over a week end...never. I have had a 100% sucess rate, No value declared. The box won't slip under your shirt and they track Pirority Overnight very closely. I always breath a sigh of relief when tracking shows : On truck out for delivery. I have the best FedEx driver on my route. Never, Never, Never use checked airline baggage.

#19 ·
Scott Gahimer wrote an exceptionally thorough condition report and provided 50 or so high resolution photographs for the sale. I could never ask for better. The little known auction house is extremely gracious and accomdated and early inspection two weeks prior to the auction. They were smart to use Scott to rely on his reputation of the pistol's authenticity. I also bouught the General's GO Colt 1908. Score on that too although it's my forst to own. Still coming down from the high.

#20 · (Edited)
Gordon,

Read the fine print on the FedEx air bill paperwork. If nothing has changed, they specifically state they limit what they will pay to $500 in the case of a lost collectible. That's why I never use them. I'd drive across the country to hand carry a pistol back home rather than to use FedEx.

I did an inspection a few years ago for a fellow who received a "bad" type 1 logo RR. The seller had shipped it FedEx. So the buyer returned the gun same method, fully insured and signature required. FedEx left the gun on the seller's porch and the seller claimed he never received it. The buyer went back to FedEx and demanded full reimbursement for the loss. FedEx would not pay. Nearly 2 years later the buyer got his reimbursement after bringing suit against FedEx and the judge ruled in his favor.

Maybe they've changed the wording, but I haven't bothered checking...as I just don't use them and I always encourage my clients not to ship anything to me FedEx.

Edit: i just went online and found this...
Understanding Insurance Limitations

When using any carrier, including FedEx, it’s a good idea to verify which items are not covered or have limitations on coverage. For example, the Declared Value and Limits of Liability sections of the FedEx Service Guide explain that items of extraordinary value and those items with a value that is difficult to ascertain may not be declared. According to the FedEx site, limitations include the following:
For Shipments containing the following items of extraordinary value the Declared Value for Carriage is also limited and depends on the contents and destination of the Shipment:

• Artwork, including any work created or developed by the application of skill, taste or creative talent for sale, display or collection. This includes without limitation, items such as paintings, drawings, vases, tapestries, limited-edition prints, fine art, statues, sculptures, collector’s items, customized or personalized musical instruments or similar items.
  • Antiques or collectable items, or any commodity that exhibits the style or fashion of a past era and whose history, age or rarity contributes to its value. These items include but are not limited to, furniture, tableware, porcelains, ceramics and glassware. Collectable items may be contemporaneous or relating to a past era.
  • Film, photographic images, including photographic negatives, photographic chromes and photographic slides.
  • Any commodity that by its inherent nature is particularly susceptible to damage, or the market value of which is particularly variable or difficult to ascertain.
  • Jewelry, including but not limited to, costume jewelry, watches and their parts, mount gems or stones (precious or semiprecious, cut or uncut), industrial diamonds and jewelry made of precious metal.
  • Precious metals, including but not limited to, gold and silver, silver bullion or dust, precipitates or platinum (except as an integral part of electronic machinery).
  • Furs, including, but not limited to, fur clothing, fur-trimmed clothing and fur pelts.
FedEx might not exclude insurance on the above items outright, but may limit the amount you can declare. For example, FedEx permits a maximum declared value up to $1,000 for the following items:

• Artwork
  • Photos
  • Glassware
  • Jewelry
  • Furs
  • Precious metals
  • Plasma screens
  • Antiques
  • Stocks, bonds, and cash equivalents
  • Collectibles, such as coins or stamps
  • Some musical instruments
  • Models, such as dollhouses
If you state a value that exceeds the amount allowed, you simply won’t be able to recover more than what is set forth in the FedEx rules and regulations.

So...FedEx has increased it to $1000. I stand corrected. IMO, it's just not worth the fight to use FedEx. I always use Registered Mail for anything of value over $5000 and encourage buyers or shippers to use supplemental insurance if value exceeds $50K.

#21 ·
Thanks Scott, I understand. You ship other people's pistols and must provide the maximum security. I only ship whatever I am buying for myself or selling/trading for myself. I decided to carry the loss risk myself. My process is designed to not lose a shipment. I just insure myself but I minimize the risk to the shipment. Thanks for the feedback. gb

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.