Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired a Colt 1911 which appears to be a 1978 , Series 70 , production .

The serial # is 880xxG70 . It has the collett barrel bushing .

I don't believe the sights are original , I'm not sure . I've attached photos of the frt and rr sight if someone can I D them .

Also I don't know if it's a refinish or not . Seems to be very little wear , even on the slide channels .

It came w the faux pearls and some plain wood checkered grips . I believe the original wood grips for this gun had diamonds ?

I broke it down and gave it a clean and lube job .

Maybe I am missing something , but getting the collett bushing back in along w the guide rod spring/cap was a pain . Could use 3 hands .

I have a Wilson Combat tool that I use on my Smith 1911 and it didn't seem to fit the Colt as well . Chewed a few very small slivers of the plastic off .

Maybe I'm just a klutz .

I'm def looking forward to shooting this . I've heard the pro/con on the collett bushing , so I'm eager to determine accuracy for myself .

I'm not a long time 1911 guy ( could you tell ? ) but I do love shooting my S&W 1911 . Very , very accurate gun .

Thanks for any insight / comments .

Regards ,
George

Wood Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Gun barrel Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Gun barrel Gun Firearm Trigger Revolver Starting pistol

·
Registered
8,177 Posts
Neither is the trigger or the mainspring housing.

The proper way to turn the collet bushing during disassembling and assembling is to retract the slide about 1/4 -3/8 of an inch to relieve to pressure on the collet fingures. Using a barrel bushing wrench will eventually crack the bushing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Neither is the trigger or the mainspring housing.

The proper way to turn the collet bushing during disassembling and assembling is to retract the slide about 1/4 -3/8 of an inch to relieve to pressure on the collet fingures. Using a barrel bushing wrench will eventually crack the bushing.
Ken ,

Thanks for the tip on disassembly .

What indicates that the trigger is not original ?
It has a very small amount of takeup , but breaks well .

Regards ,
George

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The guys, above, got it right, it's been modified. Kinda like a restomod hot rod - I like it, how's it shoot?

Very nicely , I must say .

I am really a S&W revolver guy .

But I do have a S&W 1911 that I've had for years and put thousands of rounds downrange with .
And a Kimber 1911 Super Carry Pro that I bought earlier this year .

So we hit the range today and shot the S&W prior to the Colt , to get an immediate , direct comparison .

Both my daughter and I shot the Colt .................................. better than the S&W , which we both shoot very well . Noticeably better .

I don't know if a Colt is that much better , that the collett bushing is a contributor , or if it was just beginners luck .

But my daughter mentioned that she thought the Colt felt better in hand .

I do like the sights , whatever manufacturer they are . Shot to POA w no adjustments needed .

Regards ,
George

·
Registered
931 Posts
Those are old Millett sights.

Also pay heed to kenhwinds advice on the collet bushing. Forcing one with a bushing wrench is a good way to damage the fingers.

·
Registered
8,177 Posts
My old Series 70 is on number 3 bushing: the first one broke a finger, the second one because I had a full length guide rod in the pistol. And yes it broke from using a barrel bushing wrench because I couldn't retract the slide to disassemble.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts