Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stumbled upon a NIB 100% unfired Colt with all the boxes and lock, papers, everything. It's a sweet lookin gun. I've never actually seen or heard anything about these. What are they going for now? I know you guys know your stuff, teach me about em, please!
Chevy

PS: Anybody know who Colt contracted the Carbonia finish out to? Is this gun forged or cast?

·
Registered
721 Posts
The WWI reissues are a current offering from Colt: O1911

I think they generally retail for ~$950. I understand they are quite authentic in detail (I have a reissue but I'm no expert on 1911s of this period).

I don't know who does the Carbonia finish, I have no reason to believe it isn't done in-house and I'd be surprised if the gun isn't forged.

Sorry I can't be of too much help /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've been able to find some basic info about the WWI reissue so far. Here's what I've figured out. Apparently they're supposed to be as authentic to a 1918 vintage 1911. As k217sc pointed out, Ron's is doing the finish (which is 200 bux to have it done by them!) and the barrel, frame and slide are forged steel. I had read that Colt was supposed to limit these to 4,000 pieces. Is that still correct, since they're still on the website?

Blokey, tell me what you think about your pistol. Do you shoot it or keep it boxed up? I think I'll probably be buying this one.
Chevy

·
Registered
721 Posts
Cool, I didn't know the finish was contracted out and both of you confirmed my thought that they are forged. Thanks!

The WWII reissue was advertised to be a 4000 unit run, I've not heard of any such production limit for the WWI gun.

My WWI is a NIB safe queen, I prefer a -A1 style gun anyway so I have a regular ol' 1991A1 for range use. I bought it because I thought it was a neat little piece and to complement my WWII reissue.

Check out this thread: WWI & WWII reissues

The WWI 1911 is a beautifully finished gun, I think you'll be very pleased with it.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Bought the first one i found, about $900 otd as i recall, haven't shot it yet. Very nicely finished, I like mine very much. Hope you have a similar experience.

rayb

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have not been very happy with mine, maybe I was expecting too much. My first slide stop was not checkered, Colt replaced it for free though. The thumb safety was not checkered very well and really small, nothing like an original which I also own. I sent it to Colt to have it replaced with a correct looking safety, I even sent photos of other Reissues and an original with the correct appearing safety. Colt sent it back with an even worse safety, so I reinstalled the original one it came with because it looked better. I also noticed that the slide is not shaped like an original, at least not like my early 1913 original. Of course we all know about the cratered rollmarks. I've never fired the gun so I cannot say whether or not it function well, although I cannot see why it wouldn't. Yeah, I know I'm picky. I'll just stick with old guns, they are my favorite anyway.

Jared

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.