Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a Colt 1911 at auction, serial number dates it to 1918, there is an armory stamp on it, someone had it nickled, I still like it but it is not a collector I guess? I still had to rescue it, I think I will use it as a shooter?

·
Registered
701 Posts
No, sadly its not a collector anymore, doubtful as a shooter either due to age and lack of any heat treating. WWI examples do not make good shooters, they do however tend to end up as potential horror stories if not careful. I agree, pictures would be nice.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I have heard but never seen proof of, that some of these were nickeled for parade purposes. Does the arsenal stamp appear to have been done at the same time as the nickel?

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
No, sadly its not a collector anymore, doubtful as a shooter either due to age and lack of any heat treating. WWI examples do not make good shooters, they do however tend to end up as potential horror stories if not careful. I agree, pictures would be nice.
what kind of problems occur w/these old guns?

·
Premium Member
3,036 Posts
If you use them a lot you can crack the frame at the slide stop. I shoot mine a little just for the fun of it. However, I use a shock buffer as well as standard ball ammo.

·
Registered
162 Posts
My great grandfather came back from the war with his, and promptly had it nickel plated. That's how the story goes anyway. Sadly it will never be mine - but I'm consoled by a few non-nickle plated versions :)

Congrats on the snag, my grandfathers run his with a .22 slide and with reloads for as long as I can remember.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts