Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Colt 1911 with a serial number of 114695 that has a .45 Ed Brown barrel ! When I look up the serial number from Colt the closest I get to it is a 1950s era super 38 . Could this gun have been converted?

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Can you post any pic's of the pistol to assist in the I.D., including the serial#?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can you post any pi
I have a Colt 1911 with a serial number of 114695 that has a .45 Ed Brown barrel ! When I look up the serial number from Colt the closest I get to it is a 1950s era super 38 . Could this gun have been converted?
Markings found on the pistol would help.

Colt Model 1911 wa last made in 1919.
c's of the pistol to assist in the I.D., including the serial#?

·
Registered
7,316 Posts
A Government frame with a Commander slide. Or is this a Gold Cup frame?
Need a picture of the other side.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
JFH, after seeing this gun and some of your new SAA guns. I have no doubt the original owner either built this one from parts himself or had it done. Easy build and good parts like your SAAs.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
JFH, after seeing this gun and some of your new SAA guns. I have no doubt the original owner either built this one from parts himself or had it done. Easy build and good parts like your SAAs.
Here are some pictures of the frame , I’m being told that the ridges on the front of the handle of the frame isn’t consistent with a 1950s Colt . Could he have had these intentionally machined by a custom gunsmith? Some remarks I got were that the serial number may have been filed and a new serial number rolled on . I highly doubt this because of the rest of the collection.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
I agree with Ken.
If you type the serial# into the Colt MFG serial# look-up it comes up as a 1954 .38 Super. However I haven't seen this serial# font before. It can't be a Colt .38 Super frame from the early 50's because the factory "address" is on the frame. Back in the 50's the factory "address" was stamped on the slides. The front grip strap "serrations" were a detail of the Gold Cup National Match pistols starting in 1957. The frame has some fairly recent parts like grip safety with palm swell, plus the skeletonized hammer and lightened trigger and oversized extended thumb safety. Although not odd, but it's uncommon to see a Commander top end on a Government Model sized frame. Note the scallop of the front of the slide in relation to the front of the dust cover on the frame. Colt wouldn't have done that.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Ken asked a good question. Is it a Gold Cup frame. Trigger looks pretty fat in that frame.

I'd like to see photos of the trigger guard area from the front and side and the top of the frame..Series 70 or 80?

No question in my mind it is a parts gun someone built up on a Colt frame. Colt didn't put this one together. The front strap serrations have been used recently (last 20 years) on any number of Colt guns (GCs and others) so no big deal IMO. Very likely Colt's work there, as a custom smith wouldn't run the serrations through the bottom of the frame. Signature Colt machine work by the look of it.

There are any number of things about the gun that tell me the gun (beavertail fit for one and frame rails are still Govt length) was built by an amateur. But nothing wrong with that.

I believe the serial number is correct. Not unusual for the Colt web site to miss numbers on line. A short phone call to Colt Custom Service will clarify the serial number.

I pulled out 4 Colt frames this morning that were handy. A frame from the year 2011 has exactly that same font and frame finish. The "1" are not the dame font...4 is closer. Mine is a 7 digit gun. Your's a 6 digit. No question though..both your and my gun have a odd serial number roll and font. My number is in the Colt Internet site. But I have no doubt it is a Colt frame and serial number.
Is the frame a Series 80 or Series 70? Photo of the top of the frame will tell us that.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Series 70 frame. Front strap serrations and width of the trigger show a 5" Colt Gold Cup style frame. Ejector, hammer, thumb safety, grip safety and likely the trigger (Colt has used steel and aluminum triggers on the GC) are all after market. That is a aluminum GC trigger. They are a fairly recent addition for Colt. Top end if off a LWT Commander as opposed to a Combat Commander. Novak's rear sight and front were likely added to the slide as was the Brown barrel.

Can you get a photo of the inside bottom of the slide?

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
You have a Series 80 slide that the Series 80 firing pin block has been removed in order to use it on your Series 70 frame. Definately a mix master of parts.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
824 caught it. Series 80 slide on a Series 70 GC style frame. Make that call to Colt on Monday and let us know when the frame was made and the 1911 Model of the gun it is original too. (y)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts