Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

My grandfather carried this Colt 1911 in WW2 and was able to bring it back with him. I am trying to get a value on it for insurance purposes only as we would never sell it. Could you please help me with:

1. Estimated value of the pistol
2. Your thoughts on if I should fire this or just keep it as a collectible

Thanks in advance for your help!

Colt 1911 Slideshow by tackkr | Photobucket

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
#1-- My wag is 2k on up JMHO. for insurance i would go 2.5-3k
#2--- you can do both shoot it ,clean it put it up. just be careful you don't damage it any.

use name brand ammo
somebody else will come along with more knowledge/info .

·
Registered
11,718 Posts
It is actually a 1911A1 as noted on the right side of the receiver. Probably manufactured around September 1943. The slide should be serial numbered under the firing pin stop plate. What are the barrel markings (left side of barrel and in front of lug)?

Any reason for taking the pictures upside down? It makes them much more difficult to view.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Well if your grandfather carried it it is priceless but, if you are looking for an insurance value I agree 2,500-3K. I shoot all of mine with mild loads. But mine don't have sentimental value. What would Granddad want?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. Since I did not acquire this as an investment and won't ever sell it I am leaning toward continuing to fire this and take good care of it. Does that make sense to everyone? Thanks again for your comments and opinions

·
Registered
11,718 Posts
They were meant to be shot when they cost $35.42, and if it broke you just took it back and got another one. Would you go out and pay $2500/3000 for a shooter when you could buy one made out of better materials for $500, and won't lose a family heirloom if something happens to it. There are thousands of new 1911 style pistols out there, but only one of your grandfathers.

·
Registered
8,187 Posts
Although I would probably shoot it if it were mine, but I would not use it as a shooter. Take it to the range and shoot a few magazines through it, clean it, oil it, and then do as JohnnyP suggests.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
I agree. Take it out and put a few rounds through it. Don't use it as a range gun, however. Keep it nice.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you everyone. I have a Luger ( everything matches including the clip) which Grandad got off a German officer which I have the same dilemma about. I am really not sure about shooting either of them much at this point.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I agree, fall of 1943 is about right for DOB. Assuming the pistol would grade out above 90%, maybe closer to 95%, value could be closer to $4,000. You have gotten good advice on using it as a shooter, my two cents worth of advice, either shoot it very little, or not at all, the original parkerized finish is irreplaceable. Keep it oiled, perhaps display it with other WWII memorabilia. You can always buy an excellent shooter for $1,000 or less.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I would not shoot it at all. You can buy a Rock Island for 500 and shoot that. You cant replace that gun if god forbid something went wrong. I have a ww2 USGI and I will not shoot it. But that's just my .02

·
Registered
61 Posts
I would not shoot it at all. You can buy a Rock Island for 500 and shoot that. You cant replace that gun if god forbid something went wrong. I have a ww2 USGI and I will not shoot it. But that's just my .02
I have a 1911A1, 99%, mfg fall of 1943, just no need to shoot it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Nice Colt! Do you have your grandfather's history, his WW2 experiences written down? It would be interesting to put some time and place along with the photos of his sidearm you have. Rank, unit(s), MOS etc. I have the same model in my collection. I am actually surprised by the prices though. Guess I have been out of touch and haven't seen many nice 1911 A1s around here but I would have guessed 2000-2700. Glad to hear they are continuing to climb. My 1911 buying days are about over unless I get lucky or trade. Thanks for showing some family history. I would weigh in on the 'do not shoot' side..well maybe the box through her just to hear the roar once again, your grandfather heard.

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
I would change the springs and let her rip, same with the Luger (except I would replace the firing pin and keep the original tucked away). Sorry, life is just too short for me not to enjoy the things I own

·
Registered
544 Posts
OK--First of all "PLEASE" take the first part of this somewhat "Jokingly". OK?? But the "OOOOOH don't shoot it", "Use only light loads", Put it in a display, use only WHITE gloves when touching it, Bow two times to it befor picking it up, put it in a Safe and never touch it--get the point?

Being a Grandfather myself I would WANT you to shoot the pistol. Feel what I felt shooting it.! Enjoy it like I did. My Grand Dad told me "A pistol is really not "YOUR'S" untill you shoot it." At least your Grand kids can say "I remember when GrandPa use to shoot that ole Colt" to their kids.

I have my ??? Great Grandfather's (Hmmmm my Dad's, Dad's, Dad's) "working" Colt SAA ---a 1880 SA and we shoot it still. He called it his "Working" Colt because it is the pistol he carried working as a Ranch hand every day. We also shoot the family Civil War 1860 Colt.

So enjoy shooting it. Besides is it REALLY possible to break or tear up a Colt 1911 A-1? Besides if you Break it---I have yet to see a Colt that Alan Harton or others can't fix. ENJOY ENJOY ENJOY !!!!!!

Ronin

·
Registered
503 Posts
I wonder if either gun has grips that are vulnerable to cracking? P.38 grips can crack. The P.38 forum recommends putting on new grips and not shooting with originals as it would devalue the pistol.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.