Colt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I acquired the pictured Colt Slide. There are no serial number markings in the rear behind the firing pin block. What would be the proper frame for this slide in case I am ever lucky enough to find one?

·
Premium Member
19,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RSCOLTS says, "not a replacement part" and JohnnyP says, "Possibly a replacement slide."

Hmmmm?

·
Premium Member
19,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have seen pictures of a couple J.S.B. inspected 1911a1's on this forum and they seem to have that 'Blued'
slide similar to the one I acquired. I do not recall ever seeing a J.S.B. inspected 1911a1 in person.

·
Premium Member
19,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Scott, The one I have pictured has been coated with EEZOX for rust protection. That tends to cause it to have more of a blue (not blur) tint than before the coating. I will have to strip the EEZOX off and see what it looks like. A little acetone will strip the protectant. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
91 Posts
RSCOLTS says, "not a replacement part" and JohnnyP says, "Possibly a replacement slide."

Hmmmm?
I concur with JohnnyP on this, yes...sorry for any confusion. The ones I have had in the past have all been the earlier variety with the logo (I currently have a brushed blue example). At any rate, the time period for the frame I suggested earlier is still what’d I’d look for to be a correct mate to the slide.

·
Premium Member
19,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
RSCOLTS, Thanks for the amended information. I doubt I will ever find the proper frame to go with this slide, but if any member sees one, let me know.

·
Registered
10,765 Posts
Late in production Colt did not sandblast some of their slides, and occasionally did not sandblast the receiver. On these pistols the slides and receivers have a slightly different color, probably due to the way they reflect the light from the sandblasted receiver and smooth slide. Clawson noted in his Collector's Guide that the slide and receiver must always be the same color, and that some of the later Colts featured a Parkerized receiver, and a Parko-Lubrite slide causing a difference in appearance. The receivers that were sandblasted were not sandblasted on top and as well the feed ramp was not polished after finish, leaving the receiver with a slightly different color except for the top and feed ramp that were not sandblasted.

This photo shows a magnified view of the receiver that was sandblasted, and the slide that was not. I also have a 2.33 million range Colt that neither the slide or receiver were sandblasted before finish. With the change to Parko-Lubrite Ordnance allowed Colt to discontinue polishing the feed ramp after finish. On these Colts the receiver is normally sandblasted, but the top of the receiver is not.

·
Premium Member
19,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
JohnnyP, As usual, you have a wealth of information. I have seen only a very few late wartime production Colt 1911a1's. I think you have solved my mystery. Someone else posted a picture of a late GHD inspected Colt 1911a1 and the slide on his gun had exactly the same die breaks as on mine.

·
Registered
10,765 Posts
A Remington Rand spare slide. More markings as well as Remington Rand farther around on the label.

Once removed from the wrapper there was no way of identifying it as a spare slide after the right side markings were removed in late 1943.

·
Premium Member
19,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
JohnnyP, You must have one amazing collection!! Thanks for posting that spare slide still in its wrapper.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts