Colt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I recently bought a Colt 1911C Series 70 Government model. I love it! It shoots just fine and didn't have any hiccups so far through about 200 rounds. I took apart the gun to clean however, and noticed a couple anomalies.

First of which, I noticed that there is a weird pattern sort of engraved into the bottom of the dust cover. Almost seems like the spring somehow etched itself into the dust cover.

The second anomaly is that one side of the dust cover is significantly thinner than the other. It's noticeable from all angles, and does sort of cause a little bit of sideways excess play of the slide.

Any ideas if anyone has seen this before, or if this is something I should be concerned with?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I had this same thing on a 1980's Colt Government Model, since it was a cosmetic issue, I just lived with it. Since your gun is new you can either live with the mis-machining or you can send it back to Colt under warranty. They would probably have to replace the frame.

·
Registered
9,460 Posts
If it's within spec Colt would simply send it back unaltered. As long as it functions properly and accurate it's nothing to worry about.

Reactions: tonyque

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Not uncommon on the older, original Series '70 guns. But I'd have to wonder if it is actually within Colt specs. I'd send it back and find out. It may be only cosmetic but it sure is annoying on a new gun.

I like Arjay's answer...just sell it and buy another. Easier than dealing with Colt Customer Service.

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
Hey Tonyque,
I picked one up recently. I’m away from it at the moment, but I will take a look at mine and see if it has similar issues as well. Thanks for the heads up.
I talked to Colt customer service last week several times to check on some serial number production dates. Actually had a very short hold in the morning and afternoon. So at least it’s not as painful to talk to someone right now. Repair turnaround times .. who the heck knows ??!! But... it’s hard to find stock at the moment online. However, Colt seems to produce in batches. None to be found then many sellers have one the next month.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I appreciate all the feedback guys! Seems like the best thing to do is send it to Colt next week, and if they refuse to do anything about it, I’ll sell it and grab another one. It’s funny, I had posted something on the 1911 forum; I have a Tisas 1911A1, and even that thing for $300, is tighter and more symmetrical then the Colt..

·
Registered
793 Posts
I had brand new 1911 Repro that looked EXACTLY like yours. Mine was also rubbing leaving a mark. I sent photos to Colt and sent it back as they requested. I can't remember what they did to it but it came back in perfect condition. My mind is a bit fuzzy...it was a long time ago.... but they probably changed the frame. I was very satisfied with the repair. That was back when Colt was known for top quality work.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Sorry about the double posting of the photos. I cannot figure out this new forum....no place to EDIT my post so I can delete the double photos. This forum really sucks in the "easy to use" department! The photos with the gold background are "before" photos and the last photo is the "after" photo after it was returned from Colt.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Click on the 3 vertical dots at the top right of your post. Click on edit which will bring up your post including the thumbnail pic's. You can delete the doubles from the right side of the individual pics. Then click "Save" at the bottom of the edit window

·
Registered
793 Posts
Click on the 3 vertical dots at the top right of your post. Click on edit which will bring up your post including the thumbnail pic's. You can delete the doubles from the right side of the individual pics. Then click "Save" at the bottom of the edit window
Thank you. It finally worked after about the 10th try. The problem was that after clicking on the 3 dots, "EDIT" would show up but clicking on it had no effect. I'm a member of a dozen or more forums and this one is without doubt the hardest one to navigate. With all the "improvements" that have been made in the past year, it still sucks bad.(n)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That would bug the heck out of me. Not that that part of the frame is a stress area, but it does look weaker. I would push Colt to replace the frame, even if it takes a while for them to do it.
Yeah, that's my biggest concern at this point is that with all the Covid stuff, it might take them a while to produce any kind of solution, but it's worth a shot!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had brand new 1911 Repro that looked EXACTLY like yours. Mine was also rubbing leaving a mark. I sent photos to Colt and sent it back as they requested. I can't remember what they did to it but it came back in perfect condition. My mind is a bit fuzzy...it was a long time ago.... but they probably changed the frame. I was very satisfied with the repair. That was back when Colt was known for top quality work.
I'm hoping for the same outcome! I'm glad yours was fixed though!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
UPDATE:

After finally getting ahold of Colt, they said that if it were covered under warranty, that the turn around time would be pretty insane, so I decided to sell it. I'll get another one at some point, and be sure to do a more thorough inspection this time! Thanks again for all the help guys.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts