Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently obtained a Colt 1917 that has a parkerized finish and appears to be an aresenal rebuilt revolver. Its in excellent condition with very clean chambers and bore. I received some unused full moon clips with it. After loading them with some WW 230gr FMJ, I tried to insert them into the chambers and they wouldn't go all the way in without some force and then the cylinder either would not close or was too tight to rotate properly. Individual cartridges will chamber fine and .45 AR cartridges will also chamber and function. It appears to me that the opening in the center of the clip is not fitting the area of the center of the cylinder. I have had several S&W's in .45 ACP including a M1917 and have never encountered this. I know the 1917 was designed to use half moon clips. I don't have any of those at present. Has anyone experienced this? I suspect that the half moon clips will work properly. I can load AR ammo so the clips aren't really needed. I don't intend to use the revolver in competition or other situations where full moon clips would be essential. It is a large and serious looking revolver and is a great companion to for my Winchester 1897 Trench Gun and 1941 M1 rifle.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought four half moon clips today and tried the same ammo in the revolver. They worked perfectly. The slid right in and fell out from own weight. So, the full moon clips I have just don't fit the Colt. Since they came with the Colt and are unmarked, I don't know their origin. I have ordered some RIMZ polymer clips. The company website states their .45 acp clips fit the Colt 1917. We shall see...If anyone is interested. I know I'm not the only 1917 owner and I would assume not the only person to try full moon clips in a Colt 1917.

·
Registered
12,847 Posts
Interesting...

Well, who knows how many small Companys have made Moon Clips for some to be maybe a little out of spec...and or some company maybe drew their spec impirically from an S&W and did not realize the Colt has a slightly larger diameter middle...

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I have used full moon clips for years in my Colt M1917 with no problems at all. Mine are from Ranch Products in Ohio, I don't know about the quality of clips from other sources. My main problem is in removing fired cases from clips, and I find that can best be done by using the corner of a steel MG ammunition box.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Ranch Products fit both my Colt and S&W M1917's fine, along with every S&W M625 I have that uses moon clips. I think that at one time there were two slightly different designs for the early and later guns - I remember seeing a difference on some folk's web sites. I suspect that later clips are designed to accommodate all ejector star designs.

Buck

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input. I am glad to read that the RIMZ work in your 1917 since I have 25 of them on the way. That was the only quantity offered. I understand they are much easier to load and unload than metal clips. I have tried many of the tools to load clips for my S&W 625's, 325PD and S&W 1917. The tool that looks like a 1911 barrel with a plastic sleeve works pretty well for removing the brass from the clips. The Ranch Products clips worked very well in my S&W .45 acp revolvers and seemed to be very good quality.

·
Registered
119 Posts
FWIW Wilson Combat moon clips work in my Model 1917 (delivered June of 1918). They are quite stout and you need the "extractor" tool to remove cases from their moon clips.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts